NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Barium MRI (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/244556-barium-mri.html)

JoannaP79 01-31-2017 04:28 PM

Barium MRI

Hi all, (it's gadolinium not barium)

I have an MRI of spine in the morning and the rheum has requested I have gadolinium iv first for it. This I understand is an IV solution of gadolinium which goes round parts of your body to make the scan easier to read.
Does anyone know if there are issues with this for us with sfn /autonomic neuropathy? Kind of want this if it will show greater detail of the Spinal damage/inflammation I have.

en bloc 01-31-2017 09:39 PM

I have never had any problems with IV contrast...and I have had several MRI's with the gadolinium. I think the most important factor in regards to reactions and/or problems with the contrast is the possible effect on the kidneys (if the patient has kidney disease). Otherwise, I don't think you'll experience any problems with your SFN or autonomic neuropathy.

JoannaP79 02-01-2017 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1235191)
I have never had any problems with IV contrast...and I have had several MRI's with the gadolinium. I think the most important factor in regards to reactions and/or problems with the contrast is the possible effect on the kidneys (if the patient has kidney disease). Otherwise, I don't think you'll experience any problems with your SFN or autonomic neuropathy.

Thank you En Bloc! Was very reassuring to read your reply this morning. They didn't use it on the end after all that. I didn't feel worried going in though thanks to your reply :-)

baba222 02-01-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaP79 (Post 1235206)
Thank you En Bloc! Was very reassuring to read your reply this morning. They didn't use it on the end after all that. I didn't feel worried going in though thanks to your reply :-)

Sorry for the late reply.

I have had several scans with gadolinium. It is supposed to have a 90 minute half life and I have been peeing it out for almost two YEARS later.

I first became suspicious when my scalp was worse only a few hours after a brain MRI with gadolinium contrast and then started to pursue information further.

I know folks that think it is the cause of their SFN.

Not sure about myself.

Just a caution to others.

en bloc 02-01-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baba222 (Post 1235224)
Sorry for the late reply.

I have had several scans with gadolinium. It is supposed to have a 90 minute half life and I have been peeing it out for almost two YEARS later.

I first became suspicious when my scalp was worse only a few hours after a brain MRI with gadolinium contrast and then started to pursue information further.

I know folks that think it is the cause of their SFN.

Not sure about myself.

Just a caution to others.

I have to ask...How do you know you are still peeing it out? Has your urine been tested for it?

madisongrrl 02-01-2017 12:00 PM

Barium MRI

Mine has been tested and was extremely high 2 years post MRI. Additionally the tech wasn't careful and pierced my vein, which was extremely painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baba222 02-01-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1235235)
I have to ask...How do you know you are still peeing it out? Has your urine been tested for it?

24 hour urine and sent to Mayo, so there was no dispute.

baba222 02-01-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisongrrl (Post 1235240)
Mine has been tested and was extremely high 2 years post MRI. Additionally the tech wasn't careful and pierced my vein, which was extremely painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have exposure to gadolinium prior to neuropathy?

en bloc 02-01-2017 08:54 PM

That's really scary (both Madisongrrl and Baba)! Do either of you have kidney disease...that would inhibit the clearing of the contrast?

I'm sure there are others that have had bad reactions, but I can't imagine this is the normal response from most patients.

I'm also curious if this happened the first time (or subsequent times) you had the contrast (you said you have had it several times)?

Madisongirl,

Do they think the contrast got into your tissues from the pierced vein...and therefore taking a long time to get it out of your tissues vs blood stream?

madisongrrl 02-02-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baba222 (Post 1235307)
Did you have exposure to gadolinium prior to neuropathy?

Yes my first brain scan with contrast was in 2005, right after a deer tick bite. I had neurological symptoms a month or two after that bite. One negative Lyme test later, my PCP jumps to the conclusion that I might have MS. If I could go back in a time capsule to yell "Occam's Razor", tell her per the CDC that Lyme is a clinical diagnosis, and fire her, I would. Back then, I had too much faith in medicine and doctors.