NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   crisis averted (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/244611-crisis-averted.html)

wiscorner 02-01-2017 11:54 PM

crisis averted

Got the dreaded "flu", gastroenteritis. MassI've diarrhea for 3 days. No vomiting but unable to eat or drink . Voice began to change. Kind of hoarse. Have always had some shortness of breath so hard to gage if worse. Decided to go to E.R. Needed fluids. Doc ordered various blood tests. Results showed greatly reduced potassium.I told him I don t usually sound like this and it is not a good sign with myasthenia gravis. He ordered potassium pills and potassium I.V. Said M.G. improves if potassium is low (also a big help with my chronic renal disease). Voice became normal within 5 minutes. I did spend overnight in step down I.C.U. but after more I V s was discharged later that day. I said I think k my CRD helped my M.G. Either way it appeared my crisis was averted.

pingpongman 02-02-2017 12:53 AM

Whew nice thinking on your part. I try to avoid people if possible. I can't afford to catch anything.
Good Luck
Mike

AnnieB3 02-16-2017 12:18 AM

wiscorner, any bodily changes can effect MG. Too much potassium can make MG worse. Did they tell you to stop the potassium once the GI upset stopped? If not, you may have too much of it.

Are you sure it was the flu? Usually people vomit with the stomach flu. Are you on Mestinon?

You were doing pretty poorly when you last posted. Did you recover?

I'm concerned that something else might be going on. Please see your primary care doctor for a follow up visit, and let your neuro know what transpired.

Annie

wiscorner 03-01-2017 11:35 PM

reply AnnieB3

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieB3 (Post 1236755)
wiscorner, any bodily changes can effect MG. Too much potassium can make MG worse. Did they tell you to stop the potassium once the GI upset stopped? If not, you may have too much of it.

Are you sure it was the flu? Usually people vomit with the stomach flu. Are you on Mestinon?

You were doing pretty poorly when you last posted. Did you recover?

I'm concerned that something else might be going on. Please see your primary care doctor for a follow up visit, and let your neuro know what transpired.

Annie

Thanks for concern. I only received potassium while in hosp. My potassium bl level had gone up to 2.9; no more potassium taken. Sure felt like the flu. However several days later when stool culture came back was negative for all it tested for. I take mestinon 60 in A.M. and 180 at night before bed. My neuro was notified while I was in E.R. Bad thing is, he is leaving (March) so I have made an appt. with a new neuro for July. I guess Iam on my own til then. I am pretty much back to normal, so am trying to keep healthy.