NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   22 years of struggle and despair (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/244700-22-struggle-despair.html)

Dan Jervis 02-04-2017 12:05 PM

22 years of struggle and despair

Following a supposed routine nasal septoplasty, eleven days into recovery I was stricken with severe headache and nausea. After eleven neurologists, attending Michigan Headpain/Neurological Institute, Tufts University, Mayo Clinic there was never a diagnosis. Nine nerve blocks, wire inserted in my face beneath the skin connected to a modulation device for eleven days which failed, Frequency Specific Microcurrent for 18 months, and now at last a candidate for MCS. I'm 67 years old, athletic, otherwise healthy. Now I'm waiting for approval at St. Jude's Hospital in Cheyenne, WY to go forward with a five day trial in order to achieve hopeful results so the device can be permanently implanted. Reading that there is a 50% chance of improvement is what I am hanging onto. Frustrated that I am so intolerant of the dozens of meds I have tried, Alprazolam gives me the chance to sleep but little else. How does that compare to any or all of you?

With gratitude, Dan

Mari 02-04-2017 07:01 PM

Hi, Dan,

Welcome. I do not know about the procedure you describe.

I do wish for a good outcome for you.

M

Dan Jervis 02-05-2017 01:13 PM

Motor Cortex Stimultion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Jervis (Post 1235556)
Following a supposed routine nasal septoplasty, eleven days into recovery I was stricken with severe headache and nausea. After eleven neurologists, attending Michigan Headpain/Neurological Institute, Tufts University, Mayo Clinic there was never a diagnosis. Nine nerve blocks, wire inserted in my face beneath the skin connected to a modulation device for eleven days which failed, Frequency Specific Microcurrent for 18 months, and now at last a candidate for MCS. I'm 67 years old, athletic, otherwise healthy. Now I'm waiting for approval at St. Jude's Hospital in Cheyenne, WY to go forward with a five day trial in order to achieve hopeful results so the device can be permanently implanted. Reading that there is a 50% chance of improvement is what I am hanging onto. Frustrated that I am so intolerant of the dozens of meds I have tried, Alprazolam gives me the chance to sleep but little else. How does that compare to any or all of you?

With gratitude, Dan

The procedure I am patiently awaiting is known as Motor Cortex Stimulation. It is not approved by the FDA yet. An electrode wire is inserted through the skull and above the brain and positioned above the brain's motor cortex location. Then the wire is connected to a small programmable electronic device similar to a pacemaker and worn for five days outside the insertion point in order to verify potential pain reduction. If successful, the device is permanently implanted beneath the left clavicle. The cost is above 6 figures which is daunting but how much is a miracle worth?