NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Questions about LDN (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/244843-questions-ldn.html)

Brightcloud 02-08-2017 10:00 AM

Questions about LDN

I have several questions about low dose naltroxen. Does it work if one has had CRPS for over 20 years? If it does work well for me, would I most likely need to continue using it for the rest of my life? Or if I got pain relief and felt "stabilized", would I be safe to discontinue using LDN?

Lastly, does anyone mix up their own LDN using 50mg. tablets and distilled water? I have read that some compounding labs have had problems with properly preparing LDN capsules/tablets.

Would appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks!

Brightcloud (trying to stay bright)

CRPSbe 02-08-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brightcloud (Post 1235963)
I have several questions about low dose naltroxen. Does it work if one has had CRPS for over 20 years? If it does work well for me, would I most likely need to continue using it for the rest of my life? Or if I got pain relief and felt "stabilized", would I be safe to discontinue using LDN?

Lastly, does anyone mix up their own LDN using 50mg. tablets and distilled water? I have read that some compounding labs have had problems with properly preparing LDN capsules/tablets.

Would appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks!

Brightcloud (trying to stay bright)

You have had CRPS for over 20 years? Me too. I stick to what works for me and I'm not messing with that for something that in my eyes is still experimental (at least in this country it is). No one appears to know anything about this yet.

Brightcloud 02-09-2017 12:48 PM

To CRPSbe,

I'm glad that you had found treatments that work for you. So far, all that I have read about LDN seem positive though I realize it's not for everyone. Since the usual dose of naltrexone used as a narcotic antagonist is 50 mg., I can't see a great danger in taking 1 to 4.5 mg.

Stanford University in California is also conducting a clinical research trial using naltrexone. To me this is hopeful. And I am trying to hold onto hope.

kiwi33 02-10-2017 12:28 AM

Brightcloud, this paper sums up what is known, what is not known and what the possible risk factors of self-medication are for LDN fairly well The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain.

It might help you to make an informed choice about LDN.

ger715 02-10-2017 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1236173)
Brightcloud, this paper sums up what is known, what is not known and what the possible risk factors of self-medication are for LDN fairly well The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain.

It might help you to make an informed choice about LDN.

Appreciate reading about LDN; especially the risk factors of self-medication. I am on a fairly high dose of Oxycontin but have been gradually lowering my dosage. It would be a while before this might even be considered. It was interesting to read the effect LDN has with bowel issues and the effect of anti-inflammatory treatment.

Gerry

Brightcloud 02-10-2017 05:47 AM

kiwi33,

Thank you so much for posting the link to the LDN research article. It is one that I had not seen before and contains a lot of helpful information. It is also hopeful that researchers may eventually discover other glial cell modulators.

Brightcloud