NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   MG and Back/Hip Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/245080-mg-hip-pain.html)

Robt111 02-14-2017 10:23 PM

MG and Back/Hip Pain

I've had MG for several years. Lately, I have extreme pain in the morning in my back and hip. It gets better during the day and is almost gone at night. Does any one else have such an experience?

FREDH 02-15-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robt111 (Post 1236638)
I've had MG for several years. Lately, I have extreme pain in the morning in my back and hip. It gets better during the day and is almost gone at night. Does any one else have such an experience?

Robert,
Hi, glad to have you on the forum. Just my opinion, as I'm not a Doctor, but most of the group I talk to about MG, do not have much pain. I would have to say see your GP and make sure it is not something else.
For instance: Even when I have been in crisis (twice) and in the hospital, no pain.
Good luck with all, and keep us posted.
FREDH

AnnieB3 02-16-2017 12:23 AM

Hey, Robt111. Most pain that gets better throughout the day has an inflammatory cause, such as arthritis. It might be worthwhile to consult with a rheumatologist, or talk to an internist about it. Pain can also be a sign of cancer.

Is your mattress older? That may contribute to any pain if it is!

Pain can be a result of weak muscles. But that would normally improve when muscles become stronger. Pain is a part of MG, but only if muscles are weaker or there is atrophy due to a sedentary life. Anyone who has weak muscles can have pain, cramping, spasming, etc. Patients with MS experience that as well. Athletes do as well, but it happens after intense activity, such as marathons.

Since many of us have other autoimmune diseases, it's worthwhile talking to a doctor about other mitigating factors (even thyroid disease, celiac disease, B12 and D deficiencies, etc.).

I hope you can find some relief!

Annie

6thCranialNerve 08-28-2019 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robt111 (Post 1236638)

I wanted to answer this even though it is an older post. I was getting an epidural steroid injection every time I visited my neurologist for back pain radiating down my leg. The injections did work; but I remembered a drug called Baclofen which is somewhat different than your everyday muscle relaxer. It is more of an antispasmodic. I started taking it and my quality of life has improved 100%. Depending on the origin of your pain, this might help. It isn't such a strong drug that you couldn't just give it a try at a low dose and work your way up if you are getting some relief. Pain with MG is real and should be given thoughtful consideration. Quality of life is a very real issue.