NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   maleware removal (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/245289-maleware-removal.html)

zygopetalum 02-21-2017 11:46 AM

maleware removal

Has anyone used this and can tell me if its worthwhile? I may have something Malwarebytes and free Avast are not getting.

Thanks, I hope everyone is doing well. My neuropathy symptoms are back but are not too bad.

SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

mrsD 02-21-2017 12:23 PM

We use Malwarebytes the professional with a small fee. We got
a virus days into this new computer... sneaked in with Adobe download. Our free version didn't catch it but the professional one did. So now we only use the pay for version here.

Another good one is Trend micro House Call. We have used it in the past, but haven't needed it recently.

We switched our Avast to AVG free version and it catches much more than Avast did.

Jomar 02-21-2017 12:45 PM

If you might be getting things while browsing online, maybe add protection onto your browser instead of the whole system.. stop /block it before it gets in..

most browsers have add-ons/extensions.. to choose from-

Firefox add ons- Privacy & Security :: Add-ons for Firefox

Chrome- 4 Best Google Chrome Extensions

Or top free anti virus - Google Search

threeputt 02-21-2017 03:16 PM

There is no difference in the pro version and free version of malwarebytes other than the pro works in the background trying to make sure you keep protected. The scans are both the same.

There is also no such thing as a perfect antivirus.

I have working on computers for 20 years and just about seen it all.
You didn't mention what operating system you are running or what browser you use?

Check your browser here
Qualys BrowserCheck

outdated programs like adobe can be a problem

There are several cleaners you can use but I warn you that you can get in trouble when running these unless you know what you are doing and sometimes when you know what you are doing you get in trouble. Ask me :)

There are many malware help sites on the internet that can help you and I highly suggest you post there instead of here. google bleeping computers and smartest computing and you will see malware forums to post to.
To become an expert in removing malware it takes lots of know how and patience. Again ask me how I know :) Cheers

kiwi33 02-21-2017 06:32 PM

The paid version of Malwarebytes works well for me.

There are a couple of other applications that you could consider.

Adblock Pro (freeware, available as an extension for most browsers) blocks ads, including irritating pop-ups.

The free version of CCleaner (CCleaner - The world's most popular PC cleaner & optimization tool - Piriform) does a good job of removing temporary/cached files. It is also good for deleting unwanted programs.

I run CCleaner every couple of weeks - it usually gets rid of 1-2 GB of temporary/cached files.

Note that it will remove passwords stored in those files so make sure that you know all of your passwords before running it.

Most trusted password-sensitive sites (like NT) allow you to select "Remember Me" or similar which means that logging on after running CCleaner is easy.

Jomar 02-22-2017 01:11 AM

A mix of various tools -

Free Antivirus Protection - Download Antivirus Software - Trend Micro USA

threeputt 02-22-2017 06:04 AM

Windows 10 comes with antivirus already. Windows Defender. I see computers all the time with antivirus they pay for when Windows Defender comes loaded in the operating system.

Use only one antivirus. Just do a search in the search bar for Windows Defender and you will see it. You will have to remove what other antivirus you have already in order for it to work. It is basic but they really all are.

Why pay for something that you already have for free when using Windows 10. :)

Use the Firefox browser and there is an add-on built in for adds called uBlock. Firefox is a much safer browser. I only make suggestions because I do this everyday. Take it or leave it :)
TFC Cleaner from old timer is a cleaner I also use. Googe it, safe web site to download is bleeping computers. It will clean the temp files. I also use ccleaner and have for years but TFC will rid you of things that might be left over after cleaning a computer where ccleaner will not do that. There is a difference in temp files and temporary internet files :) Cheers.

Jomar 02-27-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zygopetalum (Post 1237186)
Has anyone used this and can tell me if its worthwhile? I may have something Malwarebytes and free Avast are not getting.

Thanks, I hope everyone is doing well. My neuropathy symptoms are back but are not too bad.

SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Any luck cleaning up the problem?
I did use superantispyware back when I had windows..
The last 4 ys back when I had win XP I did decide to buy a security suite (Zone Alarm at the time) it worked well, only had notices 3 times when I blocked/caught something..
The Best Antivirus Protection of 217 | PCMag.com

And are you pretty sure it is malware vs a hard ware or software problem..
Sometimes it is hard to tell.. but if you run multiple brand scans (one at a time) and they come up clean , it might be hardware or software..

kiwi33 02-27-2017 06:17 AM

Zygopetalum, this is just a guess but did your computer problems start shortly after you downloaded some new software?

If so, you might have got a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). PUPs are bundled with software created by unethical people. PUPs are not malware but they can include spyware, adware and browser hijackers.

If you think that this applies to you then Malwarebytes can usually get rid of them.

pinkynose 02-27-2017 02:56 PM

Thanks!

This is so timely. I just had an issue with Malware this morning and the information is most useful to me. :)
Carol

threeputt 02-28-2017 09:51 PM

I see people are still posting links to the best anti-virus. That is fine but if you have windows 10 you already windows defender built in the operating system. Its basic but free.

Most important to me is using something like malwarebytes to monitor in the background and block those bad sites :)

There are many programs out there that say they have the best but really there is no such thing as a perfect antivirus program.

I have also used SUPERAntiSpyware in the past and it is fine. Malwarebytes has upgraded their software with a newer version .

I can also tell you that viruses and malware can trash windows even after you get one clean. You have to make sure before you run any program that it is very important to back up your system. A must :)

It also makes a difference on which operating system you are running. There is one program available to users called Combofix but it will not run on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. It will work on windows Vista, XP, 7 and windows 8.0.

I usually start in this order downloaded from bleeping computers
RoqueKiller
JRTCleaner
Adwcleaner.
Combofix on all except Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Just like any program make sure you back up before running.

Now is when I would download malwarebytes and cross your fingers ;)

There are two programs I also use. Ccleaner by piriform and TFC by oldtimer. Use them both.
If by chance you happen to get all these programs I mentioned to run without problems then head over and download Sophos Virus Removal Tool Google is your friend. :) install the small program, update it and let it scan. Cheers

zygopetalum 03-04-2017 02:01 AM

I am so embarrassed! I am on a med that sometimes messes with my memory and I got busy and forgot I posted here. Watch out for those anticholinergics. :mad:

I use Fire Fox and have Ublock which works better than Ghostry for me.

I read Bleeping Computer but some of the answers are too complicated for my paltry computer skills. I do have Windows Defender on my Windows 7 but its turned off because I have Avast. I can also get some form of Norton through my IP but have not done it.

It is possible I got a bad Flash Player update but am not sure.

I try to keep the cache. cookies, and temp files cleaned every day and defrag when needed too, I do need to do the last again.

What is happening is that Malwarebytes looks like it is skipping parts of the scan, tonight it jumped from around 1500 objects up to 25,000! It did this once before and I think eventually updated and found a bunch of PUPs. It is not scanning enough objects either, the total scan number is lower than it has been in the past and that happened before as well. I don't know if that could be sick computer not keeping up with scan speed.

It might be a browser hijacker because tonight I got redirected to sales sites when I tried to search something.

Or it could be software. :D It says 'Build 7601 This Copy Of Windows Is Not genuine' which is either an update error I read about or due to the shop using one copy of Windows on multiple used computers. I know someone else who has this and they told him they were licensed and it was genuine but occasionally one will do this. They reformatted his for free but wanted money.

It was running ok but I accidentally asked for help from Windows, I thought it was the help menu. lol They were not happy and send me pop ups saying I need genuine Windows and I don't get any updates besides security.

I was going to take mine in but.....I think closed the screen on a pistachio nut shell and I may I have ruptured liquid crystals or something. It could be bad screen or graphics card (?) but I heard a crunch just before I got a narrow, black line. It started about an inch long and keeps elongating. it is near the bottom and not too intrusive yet but I am trying to save to get a new pc.

So I am just trying to keep body and soul together until I can get a new one.

Thank you so much for the answers, still more side effects for me Mrs D, huh.

judi

kiwi33 03-04-2017 03:45 AM

Judi, quoting from you:

"It might be a browser hijacker because tonight I got redirected to sales sites when I tried to search something."

"They were not happy and send me pop ups saying I need genuine Windows and I don't get any updates besides security."

Both of these sound like PUPs to me. Microsoft will never send an owner of a genuine version of Windows anything like the latter.

I suggest that, in order, you:

(1) Download the latest version of Malwarebytes but don't install it.

(2) Go off-line.

(3) Delete your current version of Malwarebytes.

(4) Install the new version of Malwarebytes and run it.

(5) Go back on-line.

With luck this should sort things for you :).

zygopetalum 03-04-2017 11:56 AM

Thanks Kiwi, I will try that. I did see something about that Malwarebytes can do that if it is not restarted after previous scans or something but need to look further.

I don't think the Microsoft issue is a PUP, they don't think I have genuine Windows and I get directed to the real Microsoft site to purchase a copy.

Threeputt I spent the evening perusing Bleeping computer, its is different than what I thought. But I could not find where to download Roquekiller on the site.

Thanks again,

judi

threeputt 03-05-2017 10:34 PM

You can get the free version here. Just don't put any check marks in the boxes when it gets though scanning.. If someone is found bad there will be a check mark already in the box
RogueKiller Anti-Malware Free Download - Official Website
let me know if it finds anything

Gethprime 03-12-2017 05:35 AM

I use eset as my main security software with Malwarebytes as a backup

zygopetalum 03-12-2017 04:46 PM

woo hoo

I finally got it done, downloaded and ran Roguekiller and it found 8 PUPS and 2PUMs. I was going to post the list but it was very long and repetetive, does that mean they were in many places all over the computer? I am not sure they were all malicious but removed them anyhow.

The PUMs were in Chrome, Rocket Search? I thought that was ok? I thought there was something wrong with that browser though because the last time I used it it locked up hard and I was afraid I was going to get a message saying send $500 to Bulgaria and we will unlock your computer. :eek: That may have been the time it was so messed up afterwards Windows would not boot. :p.

Does anyone know what the below is? I thought it was Microsoft Fixit I used when my updates failed, not sure but it looks like that is still on my computer. Can I search the path or will I 'get' whatever it is again?

I had a bunch of things in my picture gallery. :mad:

Threeput did you mean not check the boxes to remove? I didn't notice any other boxes and did check those. If I deleted something useful I guess I will find out. Thank you for recommending Roguekiller, I have been going nuts running Avast and Malwarebytes over and over and coming up empty.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions, I do appreciate them.

Off to test drive my poor, fried computer.

Suspicious.Path Services (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services 0230671466799804mcinstcleanup C:\Windows\TEMP\023067~1.EXE -cleanup -nolog Deleted

Jomar 03-12-2017 05:47 PM

Rocket search info - I'd remove it!! sounds like where a lot of the junk is coming from..:eek:
[If your default search engine or start page was changed to Rocket-find.com, you should check what programs you have recently installed.

Typically, such kind of applications distributed using a misleading software marketing method called 'bundling'. That's why it’s classified as Potentially Unwanted Program. The majority of PUPs can be installed in a bundle with some freeware or shareware you want. But you don't realize that you're getting Potentially Unwanted Program in addition with it too. That is why it is always recommended to choose Custom Installation. Be attentive and never install software that you don’t know or trust.]

Remove Rocket Search. Rocket-find.com virus removal for Chrome, Firefox and IE << Soft2Secure
Or info @ Microsoft support- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...arch%20removal

zygopetalum 03-12-2017 10:14 PM

I think I did remove it and everything else that showed up. My computer is happier and not getting hot like it was. I have a vague memory of seeing Rocket offered as, like the link said, a 'browser helper object'. Its been on here for a long time. :mad:

I try not to download questionable stuff but the internet is a dangerous place for old ladies. :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone.

threeputt 03-19-2017 08:04 PM

Sorry for posting back late but I have been sick with a cold for over a week. I feel a little better now so I am back. On the RoqueKiller you leave everything like it is. !!! NO Checkmarks !! should be applied by the person. Leave everything default and let it remove what bad things it finds.

I would also recomment downloading TFC by old timer. It will clean the Temp Files. Different than temporary internet files. You can get it from bleeping computer but make sure you download that and not one of those advertisement things. Save it to your desktop and then right click it and run as admin

You may have to reboot your computer after it completes.

There are more programs you need to download and run
Jrt cleaner
Adwcleaner
Malwarebytes
All these you can get from bleeping computer like RoqueKiller

If you feel up to it let me know. TP

zygopetalum 03-24-2017 11:49 AM

Sorry I am late getting back to your late reply, I thought everyone was finished replying and maybe you threw up your hands and were hiding from my lack of computer literacy. ;) I hope you are feeling better, you mentioned a cold but flu is also very bad this year.

Yeah I checked the boxes. :D After your comments it occurred to me one line was green and the others orange and that was probably trying to tell me something. haha Computer was unstable for a bit but like I mentioned I restarted it and its running much better now so guess I didn't need what I deleted or it came back. I won't do that again.

I already ran Malwarebytes but will do it again. I will try some of those other programs, I have never done anything as an administrator but I guess it is time to get brave.

Thanks, might be a little bit before I get it done but I will let you know.

threeputt 03-24-2017 08:46 PM

I am doing much better :) If you already run malwarebytes then you should be fine. If your computer is running better then we can just let it be and see how things go. I will let you make the choice. Any way you decide is fine with me. Take care. Tom

mrsD 03-24-2017 10:08 PM

We run malwarebytes once a week.

threeputt 03-27-2017 06:08 AM

mrsD, running malwarebytes once a week is not going to solve all problems. I have been working on computers since 1997 and believe me I have just about seen it all.

One of the worst things I find is people click on things while browsing the internet not knowing what they are clicking on. We call this click bait. You computer can be taken over in a second.

Many times by just powering off a computer after something like this happens will fix the problem as it is only being held in memory. Many times it is to late.

Malwarebytes is just one program and not a fix it all. Right now malwarebytes has some issues itself. I have ran into several computers in the last few months that malwarebytes caused more problems than before the problem.

They are supposed to be working on this issue now but so far it has not been resolved.

Internet explorer which comes in all operating systems has issues and windows 10 has just about got away from this browser. They now recommend
Microsoft Edge even though you can still start up internet explorer in windows 10 if you search for it. I stay away from that browser and always recommend safer ones like Firefox. Edge is also fine alone with Chrome. Microsoft will no longer update internet explorer 11. That is the last of it.

There is no such thing as a fix it all antivirus no matter what they tell you. I have worked on computers with the best antivirus money can buy that are just as infected as free antivirus. Windows 10 has antivirus already built in called windows defender. It is ok but you need more tools and know how to keep a computer safe today. Cheers. Tom

Jomar 03-27-2017 03:50 PM

You might even want to try a more secure browser free from Comodo, one is like Chrome & one is like Firefox - also some other free products -
Download Free Internet Browsers from Comodo | Free Web Browsers

I used these when I had Windows OS.
I only used IE when I had to due to certain site requirements , but most sites work with FF now..

zygopetalum 03-29-2017 04:22 AM

I had something else alarming happen today. I tried to call my bank to get my balance and when I dialed the 1-800 number got some funny clicks and redirected to a recording that was apparently trying to sound like the bank recording by using some of the same phrases they do when they push promotions. This one asked me to take a short survey which said to press 1 if I was over 50 years old. I did and it then said I won a free life alert service and and to press 1 again and I hung up.

I went to the bank and they said it was not them and would check to see if they had been hacked and then call me. I have not heard from them yet.

I have Centurylink phone and internet through the phone line, does anyone know if I could be hacked on the computer and from there hacked into my landline phone? :mad: I am going to call the bank back tomorrow and call Centurylink as well. Old ladies don't like this garbage.

I will try the Comodo browsers, FF is kind of a pain but I use it because the browser crashes instead of the whole computer. :) Are their antivirus free and any good? I am about ready to download Ubuntu if that would work but I don't know if my old computer woud run it or tolerate the big download.

threeputt 03-29-2017 04:39 AM

I would think maybe you hit the wrong number by mistake. Try calling the same number again and see what happens. I guess anything is possible but in your case I think you are fine. What is the number you called ? I can call that number and see what I get .

I had suggested in an earlier post for you to download the Farbar Recovery Tool. I can tell more about your system if you do this and then post me the log files. It will create two files. I need both

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Download

I would not download anything else like the browser suggested until we know for sure your computer is clean. If you need more help on doing the farbar thing please let me know. Here is a link that will show you how
How to Run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool - YouTube

Tom

Jomar 03-29-2017 11:20 AM

If you do get tired of Windows & virus/anti virus issues......
You can even order Linux cds and not have to download or burn it to a cd. under 6.00 for a ready to use cd..
If interested- OSDisc.com - Linux, Beginners, 32-bit, Live

* If download & then burning a distro ISO , you have to make sure to set it to a slow burn speed for best results.*

*Or another option...if you have a large library or book/magazine store there might be Linux books or magazines with a cd inside..to test it out..
I found some many years ago in our library.

The Linux Live CD's are the ones you can run from the CD drive & see if you like it before installing anything. Like make sure wifi/internet connects and that you can navigate around in the program..they will be slower that way, but if you like it then you can click the install icon..
Most that I mention have every easy install, gives you options of wipe/format all & install, or install side by side with your windows and you can choose at boot screen which to use.. (dual boot) etc..
For Live cd - If you don't like it just shut down & remove the cd..

This page shows the top Linux and you can finds screen shots and such , I am most familiar now with Mint Mate, Zorin, Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Xbuntu ( lighter versions of Ubuntu) Linux Lite..
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

threeputt 03-30-2017 09:53 PM

Jo*Mar, I am proud you like Linux but it will never take over windows. It is much harder to learn for most people plus nobody can help much on it as it has very little of the computer market. Probably never will.

Windows is here to stay and to be honest windows 10 is a great operating system. I have been working on computers for almost 20 years.

In the last 10 years I have got no malware or viruses. You just have to learn how to stay safe and don't click on bait. Watch opening unknown emails and just use common sense.

I have a laptop with windows 7 and I have no antivirus or malware programs loaded. It is still as fast as the day I installed the SSD. I just user it to pay bills and never go to any websites.

On my desktop I use what Charter supplies for free. F-Secure which is a top notch program. Never been infected on this desktop .

I have tried all the versions of Linux and I agree, it is a good operating system but for the everyday user I would never recommend it. I actually have a spare hard drive with Linux Mint loaded that I use on occasion just to play around with it but I had rather user windows any day. Just my take on this.

I sure would not want to confuse zygopetalum and tell her to install Linux and her problems would be gone for good. Virus writers do not target Linux because it has a low market share. Let it become the main operating system people use and the problems would show up with Linux like windows does now.

Cheers Tom

Jomar 03-31-2017 12:25 AM

The major Linux distros are very beginner friendly..some others are tagged specifically as beginner friendly also.
The last few years things have really changed and with the Live cds you can try it right from the cd drive to test it out..a very nice option.

zygopetalum's laptop is an older one, that's why I mentioned the Lite Linux versions and gave more info when she mentioned Ubuntu.

kiwi33 03-31-2017 01:41 AM

I have an old laptop which I installed Ubuntu on.

For me it is stable and didn't take long to learn.

zygopetalum 04-01-2017 06:26 PM

I downloaded it but accidentally disabled the informative video :D and have been afraid to run it without it. It looks like Threeputt provided it here so will try to do it this weekend.

I also wanted to be sure I did not have to run it as administrator as I have not done that before and forgot what password I was given. 1,2,3,4,5,6......I don't know how many characters. :p I should just call and find out because running as admin would give me more opportunities to wipe out my OS. :winky:

I think I do at least have some PUPs because I am getting too many ad sites when I search something, eg I try to find medication information and I get too many sites selling it instead of information.

Thank you all for your patience, I am technology challenged but I do get benefit, my computer runs so much better than it used to because of what I have learned. Onward.

threeputt 04-03-2017 05:04 AM

zygopetalum, I understand how confusing computers can be. If you don't feel up to doing this then there are other ways I can help you. Before you download anything let me know. Also when running a program as an administrator you will not need to enter any passwords.

Also please understand I might not be here in the next few days to help you. We got some bad news on my wife. Just found out she has Kidney Cancer.

Going to urologist today for more tests in a large city and hope to find out how they are going to treat this. From there who knows what is next. It is a small mass on her right Kidney so lets hope they caught it early.

She will be 68 in a few weeks but otherwise in great health. She has never smoked and looks much younger than she really is. She also walks at least three miles and day and continues to do this even after finding out about her problem. She has a great attitude which helps a lot. She also feels great except for being a little nervous now. I am a wreck but with God's help I will make it through this.

Found this after first the ultrasound and then Cat scan. She went in for regular blood work and they found a small amount of blood in her urine. Her blood work looked normal. Doctor didn't like seeing the trace of blood in urine as they had found a trace back last year but meds cleared it up. This time the meds did not.

Please pray for her and me also as we head into the weeks ahead. This has had us on edge for several days until we got the call two week ago after they did the ultra sound. Then Cat scan showed it much clearer. Mass is 1.4 x 2.4 CM which I understand is not all that big.

I will try and log back here to check on your computer as I find time.. For now I got to take care of my wife of 47 years. Wish us luck and again I will check back in on you. Tom

kiwi33 04-03-2017 05:18 AM

Tom, I am sad to read about your wife.

I wish her and you all my support.

Please just take all the tine that you need to care for her.

threeputt 04-03-2017 09:16 AM

Thank you so much. We never expected anything like this in our retirement but it did and now we have to deal with it. We are both a little nervous but I would think that is normal. I got to stay positive for my wife even though I am not very good at hiding things :) . She is not only my wife but my best friend. I was very lucky to meet her that day in April 1970. I will still log in her and help on the computer as it keeps my mind off what we are dealing with. Got to stay busy for sure. Again kiwi33, thanks for your nice post. Tom

Jomar 04-03-2017 12:17 PM

Tom, Positive thoughts for you both.. :grouphug:

threeputt 04-03-2017 10:02 PM

Thank you so much Jo*mar. We need all the positive thoughts we can get. I will update all on how things are going with my wife in the weeks to come. Tom

zygopetalum 04-12-2017 05:31 PM

Tom, I am so sorry to hear about your wife, I am a lung cancer survivor and I know how frightening the diagnosis can be. The information can be overwhelming and the tests and consultations are confusing. I wish her the best, hang in there. I found that my doctors knew what they were doing in my treatment and I think they will do their best for your wife.

I planned to run the Farbar tool today, I will try to post the screenshot you asked for and if you aren't here it can sit until you do check in. But don't feel obligated if you do not feel like it.

judi

threeputt 04-12-2017 10:17 PM

Judi , thank you for your kind words. My wife is doing good so far. Three weeks from today they will do Robotic Surgery on her right Kidney.

They told us that it is very possible they can save the Kidney but would not know until they do the surgery. He said if there was any doubt he would remove the Kidney . He said she should be able to go home in a day or two.

The mass is not that large according to her doctor and he thinks she is lucky it was found this early. Again nothing for sure but we have high hopes and my wife has a great attitude.

I will be around here to check the logs if you want to post them for me. The Farbar tool will create two logs. Can you copy and paste them here ? I will check back on you. Again , thanks for thinking of us. Tom

zygopetalum 04-15-2017 11:43 PM

Threeputt I am glad you are doing well and your wife's prognosis sounds really promising, keep us posted. Hearing the word cancer is a horrible shock but sometimes its more treatable than we know. Again good luck to her.

Well I ran the scan and of course screwed up copying and pasting. :p I tried to slide the page like it showed in the video but it didn't work so deleted it. I also deleted the other one since the first was already gone. It said my copy was out of date so will try to find new one or run the old one again tomorrow if I can't.

Will it all fit here?