NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Vitamin Levels... get them tested (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/245339-vitamin-levels-tested.html)

Becca71 02-22-2017 11:59 PM

Vitamin Levels... get them tested

My Pain Management Dr. is doing a study because he is finding over and over and over that his chronic pain patients have vitamin deficiencies.

I just had routine blood work done, and on a whim he added the vitamin levels. My B6 level was UNDETECTABLE. Which is really not good. He actually called me at home at 6:30 at night when he got the results.

Needless to say I'm starting on a supplement, but he also said that it COULD possibly improve my symptoms once the levels get settled. Could get worse first (:() but maybe some improvement after.

But the big takeaway is, its worth asking to have your vitamin levels checked. Its a simple blood test.
Rebecca

CRPSbe 02-23-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becca71 (Post 1237308)
My Pain Management Dr. is doing a study because he is finding over and over and over that his chronic pain patients have vitamin deficiencies.

I just had routine blood work done, and on a whim he added the vitamin levels. My B6 level was UNDETECTABLE. Which is really not good. He actually called me at home at 6:30 at night when he got the results.

Needless to say I'm starting on a supplement, but he also said that it COULD possibly improve my symptoms once the levels get settled. Could get worse first (:() but maybe some improvement after.

But the big takeaway is, its worth asking to have your vitamin levels checked. Its a simple blood test.
Rebecca

I get yearly blood checks because of the medication! It's not a luxury.

I take a simple 100% of almost everything (70% iron) multivitamin, and calcium and vitamin D3; all of the vitamins are there, and have been doing that since I was long term on Neurontin. Anti-seizure meds are notorious for draining you of certain vitamins (especially B vitamins). Google it sometime! Very useful info!

My bloodwork always comes back fine (in that sense), so...

I'm glad they discovered it when they did! :)

RSD ME 03-28-2017 11:28 PM

Hi Becca. My dr found out through routine bloodwork that my Vitamin D level was very low. About a 9 when it should be about a 30-50. Not sure of the exact numbers right now. My memory is not too good these days. I started taking vitamin d with calicium (for my osteopnia (bone thinning) in my hips and after about a year my vit d level is now up to about a 48! My dr told me that I had to get my vit d leve up before my calcium supplements would take full effect in trying to prevent any more bone thinning. I get bloodwork done every year too because of my rsd and other health issues. Thanks for the great post and reminder to me that I am due for bloodwork and need to call my dr soon. Take care.

BioBased 04-02-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becca71 (Post 1237308)

Rebecca

This may be of interest: About Morley Robbins