NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Ocrevus was approved, any thoughts? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/246138-ocrevus-approved.html)

bddouglas 03-28-2017 10:31 PM

Ocrevus was approved, any thoughts?

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...d0bb4-71780489

Multiple Sclerosis News Today reported that Ocrevus was approved by the FDA as 1st MS treatment for RRMS and PPMS. I have been waiting for this release. SI have a cousin with PPMS and we have high hopes for her now that she should be able to start Ocrevus in a couple of weeks. Her neuro has been waiting on this approval.

TheSleeper 03-31-2017 07:42 PM

MS Groups in Europe, Canada Voice Hope for Ocrevus but No Cheers Yet

I have PPMS, I want some time to pass to see reactions, good or bad.

bddouglas 04-03-2017 01:21 AM

I have RRMS, though my cousin has PPMS and has excitedly been waiting for Ocrevus to be released. After the reactions I had with Copaxone and Plegridy, I am vervous about any injection or infusion especially if it in your system for 6 months... :Noooo:

Kitty 04-03-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bddouglas (Post 1240133)
I have RRMS, though my cousin has PPMS and has excitedly been waiting for Ocrevus to be released. After the reactions I had with Copaxone and Plegridy, I am vervous about any injection or infusion especially if it in your system for 6 months... :Noooo:

Is Ocrevus an infusion? I'm looking forward to hearing the good and bad from those taking it. Like you I'm very hesitant to use something that remains in your system for an extended time.

Mcsisters 04-04-2017 05:39 AM

1st full treatment complete....So far so good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 1240220)
Is Ocrevus an infusion? I'm looking forward to hearing the good and bad from those taking it. Like you I'm very hesitant to use something that remains in your system for an extended time.

I got into the study they launched right before the FDA approval and my first treatment is done with the next in September? It is an infusion. I have had no side effects and that alone makes it worth it. I feel like I have more energy. I hope it does have some reversal effects but that remains to be seen. I like the fact it is an infusion and not a pill/shot as I've had pharmacy mix ups in delivery that impacted my schedule before.

My nephew is graduating with two masters in microbiology and immunology next month. He read through all their trial information and encouraged me to do this. He said biologics are much safer than synthetics. Although I love my neuro doctor, my nephew loves me so his opinion on it was crucial for me.

Aarcyn 04-05-2017 12:52 PM

Marc writes an extremely credible MS blog for us layman readers. Here are his findings about this drug.

Wheelchair Kamikaze

AlwaysLateMommy 05-11-2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bddouglas (Post 1240133)

Have been in the study since 2013. Have two infusions per year. 2 weeks before each one I have blood work, sometimes some testing (eyes, concentration, memory, dexterity, mobility). Seen by two neuros, questions, then good to go. Infusion takes several hours - start with Benadryl and ibuprofen, then it steroids, then ocrelizumab. First infusion I got really itchy. Nothing after that except I'm super tired afterwards (likely the bendryl still on board). Usually have trouble sleeping that night (steroids). Then I'm just fine. I sometimes have a nap during the infusion. Usually have the infusion on a Friday and by mid-sat I'm back to "normal". Cannot have any infections or serious colds or they will postpone as it knocks out your system and you won't be able to fight. Have noticed a few more colds/sinus problems since, but nothing major.

No change in disease progression, other than the fatigue has gotten a bit worse (though I've gotten fatter and older so who knows). Best result - last MRI had no new lesions!

Aarcyn 05-15-2017 12:19 PM

Wheelchair Kamikaze

Good perspective of this new drug.

Kitty 05-30-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aarcyn (Post 1240333)
Marc writes an extremely credible MS blog for us layman readers. Here are his findings about this drug.

Wheelchair Kamikaze

This link did not bring up the article on Ocrevus but this one might........Wheelchair Kamikaze: Search results for ocrevus.......it's long but very informative.

I saw my new Neuro today and he recommended I wait a while before taking this drug and see what happen with the patients who do choose to take this now in it's early stages as an MS med.

I agreed and will attempt to begin Gilenya.

I'm going to follow the progress of this new med and hope that it works well for those taking it now.

Jappy 05-31-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 1243860)
This link did not bring up the article on Ocrevus but this one might........Wheelchair Kamikaze: Search results for ocrevus.......it's long but very informative.

I saw my new Neuro today and he recommended I wait a while before taking this drug and see what happen with the patients who do choose to take this now in it's early stages as an MS med.

I agreed and will attempt to begin Gilenya.

I'm going to follow the progress of this new med and hope that it works well for those taking it now.

This Friday june 2nd I will start my first infusion with Ocrevus. The second treatment will by next friday then 6months for the next. I am a little nervous about starting this drug, but the neuro would not renew mt script for LDN I had to really fight for the one and only script he gave me. Now he says he will only give me meds that are ms approved. Will keep you up to date on how things go. Jappy