NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Need your help in Los Angeles (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/24628-help-los-angeles.html)

jmk82 07-26-2007 12:27 PM

Need your help in Los Angeles

Hello, I am looking for some help from other people who have or have had TOS. I am 25 year old male that is highly active in sports. I was just diagnosed by Dr. Ahn with TOS on both sides of my body. He says that its so severe that he wants me to undergo surgery to correct it. He says that if I don't in the future I will have more problems with my hands and their is a risk I could have a clot form that could be serious. I am really afraid and don't know what to do. Right now I am not in alot of pain, that the lord, but I do have loss of grip strength espically in the morning. I see the surgery as something that will prevent future problems later in life, but I don't want to be worse off after surgery like I have read has happened to some other people with TOS. Please if you have any thoughts or advice about what I should do, I thank you greatly. -Joshua

johannakat 07-26-2007 02:09 PM

First, welcome to the board :)

Second- I have had surgery with Dr Ahn, and I believe him to be pretty conservative...he would probably send you to PT first if he thought there was a chance it would help.

Third, it is always a good idea to get a second opinion, why not go see another doctor? I see Dr Jordan for TOS, he is a neurologist in Santa Monica. 310-453-3685. He is a colleague of Dr Ahn, but they work and think independently. Jordan does not accept any insurance other than W/C or Medicare.

I have recently heard there is a Dr Kwan at Kerlin Jobe (i haven't seen him myself) who knows about TOS, and there is also Dr Ernestina Saxton. (her number is on the doctors stickies thread)

If you want the opinion of another vascular surgeon, you could see Dr Weaver at USC, he is the most conservative when it comes to TOS, I think- his number shoudl also be on the doctors sticky.

Did Dr Ahn say your TOS was vascular or neurogenic?

Johanna

jmk82 07-27-2007 10:28 AM

Thanks so much for your reply and advice, I will look into getting appointments with those other doctors, I do have insurance, so hopefull Dr. Jordan won't be too expensive, also I will ask about the specifics of my case, this is all so new to me, I have alot to learn. I will let you know any info as soon as I get it. Take care. -Joshua

thortime 09-19-2015 05:35 PM

I'd really like to hear about anyone's experience in Los Angeles, particularly for VTOS.

-Doctor(s) you've seen and their advice/approach
-Tests/Imaging that were the most helpful
-Have you had surgery? Why or why not?
-Any other information you think is important