NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Anniversary (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/2463-anniversary.html)

Diamond Lil 10-02-2006 12:26 PM

Anniversary

At this time 8 years ago, I was in a hospital in south Florida having "minor arthorascopic surgery" on my left hip. It was supposed to be an outpatient procedure and I would be "good as new" and back at work in a short time according to my surgeon.

Here I am, eight years later, living in another state, unable to work and barely able to take care of myself. I am getting SSDI and help from medicaid. I get foodstamps and help for heat and utilities. Without this help I would not be able to make it. I have lost my pride in being able to put in a good day's work and now feel rather useless. The only thing that keeps me going is my grandchildren. They are full of love and life and it is a joy to watch them grow.

I came out of the surgery with a severe sciatic nerve injury that developed into RSD. It just goes to show how quickly your life change - a fall, an accident, minor surgery, and you are forced to adapt to a new life.

I am going to try to finish painting my porch roof (the underside) today. I started it in June and have been able to do just a little bit at a time. In my other life I could have done it in about 2 hours. I will definitley feel like I accomplished something substantial because I did it all by myself!:D

Our goals may have changed but at least we still keep on truckin. I admire anyone with RSD who still continues to work or is still raising a family. Those who were once bedridden and now walk with a cane, those of us who can now comb their own hair or make a pot of coffee. To those (an all of us) I say "WELL DONE"

Lil

KathyWP 10-02-2006 01:07 PM

Hello Lil,

I'm glad you're doing the painting, it is great to accomplish a goal. I'm sorry how your life has changed. Rsd opens and closes so many doors I get plumb mixed up. My docs told me to find a hobby for my hand or I could lose it, and I found I could carve wood. It has helped me get through the obstacles rsd imposes. I hope your rsd gets better, and I'm really glad to see you.

I'm looking forward to grandchildren. :)

Take care,

ATallOne 10-02-2006 01:29 PM

Hear Hear

Well said Lil.

Mark :)

jewells 10-02-2006 06:29 PM

I must agree with Mark, well said.

Lil, I understand the sciatica pain very well. After my Doctors got my RSD pain somewhat under control along came the sciatica pain. Little did I know during my car accident I had also hurt my back but because of the RSD pain I didn't feel the back pain. I live every day with that sciatica pain and it has to be second worst to the RSD pain for sure. Hopefully soon I will be able to have a fusion done and that pain will be gone for good.

Keep on truckin Lil. Jewells