NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   A word to the wise about life on disability. (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/246449-word-wise-life-disability.html)

Shellback 04-14-2017 04:36 PM

A word to the wise about life on disability.

I have been wanting to say this for a while to make it clear to people that getting approved for disability payments doesn't mean you are on easy street. I am on SSDI and my wife works full time and we are barely making ends meet. We haven't been able to afford a vacation for years now and although I am grateful for what I have I feel like I am barely living. :(

davOD 04-15-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellback (Post 1240851)
I have been wanting to say this for a while to make it clear to people that getting approved for disability payments doesn't mean you are on easy street. I am on SSDI and my wife works full time and we are barely making ends meet. We haven't been able to afford a vacation for years now and although I am grateful for what I have I feel like I am barely living. :(

I agree 100% with you!......I used to make over $8k a month.....Now disabled do to work, I receive a little over 2k...

Between the media, and one of the political partys they want everyone to believe that when your on the government dole your on easy street!

Life is hard enough just living day to day......But juggling bills, and different bills due on different days makes it impossible to save, and just scrap by.

If there is one thing that lights my fuse is when some one says, " wow if I was off all day, I would get so much done"....Yea right, sure you would....Always forgetting how hard it is to the one they insult!

Mz Migraine 04-18-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

What you stated is true in some cases not all. It depends on the circumstances & sometimes ones age.
There are those who collect SSDI & a pension(s)....
There are "wealthy" people who collect SSDI...
There are folks who did not deplete their savings, investments, etc., collect SSDI & still living a comfortable life financially

:hug:

bgus1969 04-18-2017 10:24 PM

none

Quote:

Were yo in the Navy?

Shellback 04-24-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgus1969 (Post 1241088)
Were yo in the Navy?

Yes I was. I served from 81-89.