NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Opening cans (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/246465-cans.html)

kathrynw 04-15-2017 04:34 PM

Opening cans

Do other people out there have trouble using a manual can opener to open food cans?

ErinBear 04-15-2017 09:03 PM

Hi Kathrynw,

I have trouble also. There are electric can openers available. If you like using canned food products regularly, it might be worth the investment.

Sending good wishes your way,
Erin

kathrynw 04-20-2017 11:59 PM

Thanks.
My family is not very supportive.

ErinBear 04-21-2017 09:34 AM

Hi Kathryn,

The electric can openers are not that expensive, although I don't know your budget. Also, sometimes just buying a new standard can opener helps. The edges loose their sharpness with time, and it gets harder to open cans. OXO Good Grips makes a good can opener, and it is designed for people with arthritis or who have trouble using their hands. That is the type of can opener I have.

I generally do not buy food in cans, though, as for me they are hard to open. I get other types of food instead, so I avoid the problem. I'm sorry your family is not supportive. Thinking of you.

Take care,
Erin

Nac Mac Feegle 04-23-2017 08:31 PM

There is a "different" type

Called a 'smooth edge' that cuts the seal of the can from the side, rather than through the top. It doesn't have the risk of metal particles into the can, or sharp edges left exposed. OXO Good Grips has one that gets pretty high praises for its' ease of use. It can take a few cans to get the idea of how it works, since it's 'different', but once you wrap your head around it, you'll be hooked.

Hope this helps.

ErinBear 04-23-2017 11:31 PM

I have friends who really like the type of can opener that unseals the cans, as you describe, and they have the OXO Good Grips version. They really like it. It can work well.

However, I have to say, I have attempted to use the can opener at their home multiple times while visiting to feed their cats. I could never get it to work! My friends have normal hand strength. I'm not sure if it is my weakening hand grip, or that I just never quite got a hang of it, but I found it very difficult to use. For me, OXO's regular can opener works much better.

Take care,
Erin

AnnieB3 05-08-2017 07:51 PM

Hi, kathrynw. If you are having trouble opening cans, I'm sure you're having trouble grasping other objects. If MG is so bad that the hands are bad, then you may want to talk to your neuro!

I'm sorry you aren't having much support. Perhaps your family doesn't understand MG. There is a lot of info on the Internet about it. Home for example is a great site.

What else can we do to help?

Annie