NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   High Blood Pressure and Ocular MG (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/246627-blood-pressure-ocular-mg.html)

dloop1 04-27-2017 12:07 PM

High Blood Pressure and Ocular MG

I have been diagnosed with Ocular MG for 7 years. My blood pressure has been too high of late and I'm sure my general doctor will be recommending hypertension medication to lower it when I visit at my appointment next week.

Are there hypertension medications that can exacerbate Ocular MG and should be avoided?

I've also read that Mestinon can raise blood pressure. How do folks with hypertension stay on Mestinon?

Snoel 04-29-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dloop1 (Post 1241600)
I have been diagnosed with Ocular MG for 7 years. My blood pressure has been too high of late and I'm sure my general doctor will be recommending hypertension medication to lower it when I visit at my appointment next week.

Are there hypertension medications that can exacerbate Ocular MG and should be avoided?

I've also read that Mestinon can raise blood pressure. How do folks with hypertension stay on Mestinon?

I'm on Coversyl Plus 4mg daily plus 6 x 60mg Mestinon and 180mg Mestinon SR at bedtime without​ any Ocular issues of any kind after 2 years...

Poetist 05-03-2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dloop1 (Post 1241600)

Wow, Mestinone can raise blood pressure. Interesting. I take it and have high blood pressure that is controlled with Losartan. However, HB runs in my family.

AnnieB3 05-08-2017 07:48 PM

You should not be seeing a general doctor for high blood pressure. You need to be fully evaluated by a very good cardiologist first. Please, there are many reasons for a high BP. Only a cardio is qualified to assess what is going on. They are also more familiar with BP meds. Slight changes in diet/activity may decrease your BP.

It is very difficult to get off of a BP drug once one is started. How high is your BP, if I might ask?

Yes, a high BP creates a greater risk for a heart attack or stroke. Drugs come with side effects, so you need a thorough evaluation and conversation with a cardio. A drug may mask what is going on as well. Get a diagnosis first!

Annie