NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Diazepam withdrawal . Help please (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/247125-diazepam-withdrawal-help-please.html)

Johnsonsyard 05-15-2017 11:13 AM

Diazepam withdrawal . Help please

Hi been taking diazepam for over 3 years . 2mg at night for muscle spasm and decided to try to cone off it as I don't think it's doing me any good. I feel very hyped up restless and anxious tinnitus worse and pain worse after reducing by half over last week. Can anyone advise what I should be doing and what to expect ? What s going on? Many thanks any comment really appreciated .

PamelaJune 05-15-2017 09:25 PM

Please titrate down with your GP support, don't just go cold turkey. I understand wanting to stop medications, but these drugs do cause unwanted dependency and the body doesn't adapt well if we suddenly cease the medication. The agitation is such a horrid feeling. You have my sympathy. The good news is the agitation will go away. If you feel feel uncomfortable with it, there is nothing wrong with upping the dose slightly, stay on the slightly increased dose for a week, then drop to 1.25mg for a week, 1mg and so on. It is important to talk with your GP though. They need to know what your doing and may be able to introduce you to a planned reduction phase. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnsonsyard (Post 1243019)
Hi been taking diazepam for over 3 years . 2mg at night for muscle spasm and decided to try to cone off it as I don't think it's doing me any good. I feel very hyped up restless and anxious tinnitus worse and pain worse after reducing by half over last week. Can anyone advise what I should be doing and what to expect ? What s going on? Many thanks any comment really appreciated .

kiwi33 05-16-2017 10:39 AM

Hi Johnsonsyard

One thing that it would be worth discussing with your GP is any other drugs (both OTC and prescription) that you use.

For example, alcohol, caffeine, Bupropion, fluoroquinolone antibiotics and Tramadol should probably be avoided during diazepam withdrawal.

ger715 05-22-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnsonsyard (Post 1243019)

Even at the low dose you are taking; benzos need to be lowered gradually; possibly cutting in half.

I take Diazepam daily for the past few years primarily for muscle spasms too, but at a higher dose than you. When I reduce, the spasms worsen so I continue taking the Diazepam (Vallium). It really has helped me.

Gerry

Wiix 05-23-2017 07:21 PM

Sometimes you just have to ride it out. :o

PAYNE1 06-03-2017 12:07 AM

I agree that you need to be supervised in your withdrawal. Or at least really slow down your titration. :hug:

caroline2 06-03-2017 10:39 AM

I didn't realize this drug was valium. i took valium years ago and when I fell and cut my leg I realized I was grogged out on valium. Then I read the book "I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can" and was convinced to get off it. This was all before I knew about so much today that we can taking for "calming" our bodies. Like inositol, gaba, l-theanine, magnesium (for sure). I take these except for l-theanine now but have friends who do well with theanine. good luck and use caution.

PamelaJune 06-03-2017 07:20 PM

This is an excerpt of a news article in Australian Associated Press. ** I think it's important to get this out there!
Valium packets recalled over fears of product tampering
[Valium tablets are being recalled amid fears of suspected product tampering.
The recall notice issued by Roche applies to its five milligram tablets, which come in a 50-tablet blister pack, with the drug maker advising anyone with these tablets to return them to a pharmacy for a refund and to arrange an alternative medication.]

*Copyright The Australian.* (a snip & link is acceptable for copyrighted articles/sites..)
Nocookies | The Australian

ger715 06-05-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1244103)
This is an excerpt of a news article in Australian Associated Press. ** I think it's important to get this out there!
Valium packets recalled over fears of product tampering
[Valium tablets are being recalled amid fears of suspected product tampering.
The recall notice issued by Roche applies to its five milligram tablets, which come in a 50-tablet blister pack, with the drug maker advising anyone with these tablets to return them to a pharmacy for a refund and to arrange an alternative medication.]

*Copyright The Australian.* (a snip & link is acceptable for copyrighted articles/sites..)
Nocookies | The Australian

Thanks Pam; I use the 5mg's . Mylan is the manufacturer. They are individual tablets in a prescription bottle and not in a packet. Good to pass info along.

Gerry

Wiix 06-07-2017 09:29 PM

How's it going PJ? :confused: