NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   White Matter Disease? (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/247398-white-matter-disease.html)

PAYNE1 06-03-2017 12:04 AM

White Matter Disease?

I've just been diagnosed with white matter disease. Anybody else have it?

I understand it's related to MS.

caroline2 06-05-2017 03:55 PM

I never heard of it but looked it up and yes close to MS they are saying. If it were me and all I've learned in my life headed to 79, I would eliminate all the white foods as you possibly can. I truly believe grape seed extract, a class of OPC's, does wonders and I've been taking it for going on 23 yrs... It crosses the blood brain barrier. You can find info on grape seed extract and the brain and nerves.

My sister just passed last Dec after her battle with MS and how I tried to help her, but she didn't hear me, but did all the pharma drugs. She was 68, very sad.

I am not a doctor and only put out info that I believe COULD help others. Always discuss with your own doctors.

Snoopy 06-05-2017 04:57 PM

Hi PAYNE1,

Saying you have a white matter disease doesn't indicate what disease or condition is being referred to. Please speak with your Dr. for more clarification as to what is meant by White Matter Disease.

Take care!

PAYNE1 06-05-2017 09:11 PM

Yes, I understand there are a variety of "white matter" diseases. But that's all I was told. :(

kiwi33 06-05-2017 10:54 PM

PAYNE1, do you have any specific signs or symptoms which led your doctor to suspect White Matter Disease and what clinical investigations did s/he carry out?

The information here might help you to ask your doctor informed questions White Matter Disease: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment.

PAYNE1 06-06-2017 02:12 PM

I was having bladder incontinence followed by retention; numbness and tingling in my legs, arms, feet, and hands; feeling of muscle contractions in legs, muscle jerking from time to time; trouble with balance; and trouble with memory and general thinking processes.

I had an MRI of the spine and of the brain. And EMGs of one leg and one arm.

Does that sound right? I am 62.

Snoopy 06-06-2017 04:40 PM

Do you have the MRI report and if you do could you put up what it says in the impression section? Your EMG, was it normal or did it show a problem?

PAYNE1 06-06-2017 09:04 PM

I just have a copy of the MRI at this point. No notes. The EMGs were normal. I might be able to get some notes tomorrow, though--or at least request them.

PAYNE1 06-07-2017 06:17 PM

I got a copy of the report today. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Yes, I have white matter disease, but the doc considers my scan to be "normal," given my age. What? 62? :(

Snoopy 06-08-2017 07:06 AM

Hi PAYNE1.

Do you have the MRI report on the spine MRI?

Although MRI reports are not a diagnosis they can give possibilities for the findings in the impression section. However, it's always best to receive an understanding of your MRIs from your Dr.

Although 62 isn't old it is possible and normal to have changes in the brain as we age :(