NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   DNA test resuts.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/247492-dna-test-resuts.html)

bizi 06-09-2017 08:19 AM

DNA test resuts....

Slept ok but hips are still bothering my sleep. Still using a pillow between my legs. We need a new bed, ours is 16 years old. I am thinking a number bed, very expensive but I think I could use a firmer mattress and hubby wants a pillow top like soft one like we have now. So a number bed is appropriate.
Increasing my seroquel as we taper off the klonipin.
Down to .25mg of klonipin, it has been an easy taper so far, keep fingers crossed. Got the results of my DNA genetic testing. She prescribed a folate RX as a result of the tests. She said it may improve my mood as it helps the other meds work better. Will take it for 3 months and see if it does. At $40 a month, it is rather expensive if it doesn't help.
bizi

Mari 06-09-2017 12:42 PM

B6

My mdoc ran a genetic test because she was tracking down inflammation.

She wanted me to take this:

Folate 1000 MCG
Metafolin

I called people in my family and told them they might have the same genetic mutation.

M

mrsD 06-09-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 1244527)
My mdoc ran a genetic test because she was tracking down inflammation.

She wanted me to take this:

Folate 1000 MCG
Metafolin

I called people in my family and told them they might have the same genetic mutation.

M

Is this a typo? do you mean 1000mcg B12 and Metafolin?
Metafolin is methylated folic acid.
Make sure your B12 is also methyl version and not cyano.
If you have the MTHFR mutation, then you need both
methyl versions. This is a common mutation and up to 40% of adults have it. There are more people every day on NT getting tested. Just do a search on the main index for MTHFR and see all the posts.

Skeezyks 06-09-2017 03:33 PM

I sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. I started doing it quite a few years ago now due to ongoing low back problems. (I have a ruptured disc that impinges on the sciatic nerve.) I probably wouldn't really need it anymore. But I've done it for so long, it just feels strange not to have it. I can't sleep on either my back or my stomach.

bizi 06-09-2017 10:11 PM

I sleep on my right side. the PT said to sleep on my back. Can't!My diaphragm freezes up and It hurts to breath!
bizi

OhKay 06-10-2017 09:51 AM

After 16 years, it is definitely time for a new bed! There are other options out there for mattresses with different degrees of firmness on each side of the bed aside from the Sleep Number bed that you can explore if you don't want to spend that kind of money. Try going to good furniture or mattress stores first.

Pamster 06-10-2017 11:09 AM

I am having some DNA testing done too, hope it helps to narrow down what meds I need to be on rather than playing darts in the dark, hoping to hit the 'target' you know? You will sleep a lot better once you get a good mattress, I don't have a sleep number one. But I have a sealy and love it. I too can't sleep on my back, it's just too painful. I sleep on my sides or I can't sleep well.

bizi 06-11-2017 07:42 AM

Having the pillow in between my knees seems to help.
Have a good day all.
bizi

Mari 06-11-2017 02:13 PM

TEMPUR-Contour Side-to-Back Pillow |

Tempur-Pedic

You can even buy a pillow that rests between the legs like this one.

I have one somewhere that is a lot cheaper than this one.

M

OhKay 06-12-2017 08:08 AM

It's nice that they make those, Mari. So many people have back problems and need to sleep with a pillow between their legs, but it can be uncomfortable so they resist.