NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Neurofeedback Therapy (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/248003-neurofeedback-therapy.html)

Critter81 06-29-2017 08:03 PM

Neurofeedback Therapy

Anyone on here tried it? Successful? Not so much?

Mark in Idaho 06-29-2017 09:00 PM

Neurofeedback therapy is a broadly used term. There are targeted procedures and catch all treatments that claim to cure every symptoms. There are two basic forms.

Volitional neurofeedback used the patient's volitional response to retrain the brain or just train the patient how to over-ride bad responses. It has the best success for those who have symptoms within the spectrum the treatment is designed to treat. Relaxation/anxiety, focus/distraction, and other symptoms can be successfully treated for some people.

Non-volitional neurotherapy used sounds, lights, electro-magnetc energy, and such to try to alter the way the brain works. For some, it can trigger seizures and other symptoms. A few on NT have had very poor/negative outcomes from non-volitional neurotherapy.

What symptoms are your greatest struggles ?

Critter81 06-30-2017 07:55 PM

anxiety if I could get rid of that I would be 100%

Mark in Idaho 06-30-2017 10:20 PM

There are many different aspects of anxiety related to PCS. Some have pre-existing anxiety that becomes worse with PCS so both need to be addressed.

Have you heard about CBT, Cognitive Behavior Therapy ?

What kind of diagnostics and treatment have you received for your anxiety ?

If you can find the right therapist, there is some biofeedback and neurofeedback protocols that can be worthwhile. But, it can be expensive and hard to get insurance coverage to pay for it.

I know of a few therapists who have good track records.

Critter81 07-01-2017 08:13 AM

My anxiety is not always when I am awake, it generally happens when I am just waking up when my brain is starting to come online.

Mark in Idaho 07-01-2017 10:13 AM

Have you ever been checked for sleep apnea ?

Can you describe the symptoms ?

Do you wake naturally or to an alarm clock ?

Critter81 07-01-2017 03:11 PM

I have been checked for sleep apnea, I wake up sweating and with naseua every morning

Mark in Idaho 07-01-2017 03:25 PM

How were you checked for sleep apnea ?

Most sleep apnea tests are for obstructive sleep apnea. They do not check for central sleep apnea.

Do you have bouts of sleepiness during the day ?

Have you ever had your blood sugar checked ? Especially first thing in the morning during a fast ?

What time is your last food before going to bed ?

How about your hormones ? Thyroid ?

Critter81 07-02-2017 09:57 AM

Yes we have been down the blood sugar and hormone road,

Mark in Idaho 07-02-2017 01:57 PM

Have you tried having a glass of juice right when you get up ? You may wake up with low blood sugar that takes a while to get balanced. My son was groggy and irritable when he woke up until he had a glass of juice.