NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Radiation (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/248194-radiation.html)

pingpongman 07-05-2017 11:11 PM

Radiation

Has anyone had radiation treatments for cancer, if so how did it affect your MG? I have treatments starting next week.
Thanks
Mike

ErinBear 07-06-2017 08:02 AM

Mike, I haven't had radiation treatment, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. I just wanted to send good thoughts and support your way. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Thinking of you,
Erin

Juanitad 07-06-2017 11:18 AM

When they removed my thymus, they found a Stage 2 malignant tumor contained within it which resulted in my having 28 radiation treatments. I went back to work in the middle of the radiation treatments and in my experience, I didn't have any side affects with the mg from the radiation. Didn't have to have chemo because they got clean margins for the tumor.

Good luck with your treatment!

pingpongman 07-06-2017 12:03 PM

Thank you that sounds like good news to me. I'm in poor shape hoping it doesn't make me worse.
Mike

2Fatigued 07-06-2017 12:32 PM

Me too (like Juanitad…)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juanitad (Post 1246520)
When they removed my thymus, they found a Stage 2 malignant tumor contained within it which resulted in my having 28 radiation treatments.

Me too! I.e. that's my experience— discovery that I had stage 2 thymoma, and having had just about exactly your number of radiation treatments. But unlike you, Juanitad, the radiation made me nauseated from day 1, and also seemed to exacerbate my GENERAL fatigue.

Would you mind looking at the attachment? It represents the results of my first ACHR Antibody test, the blood for which was drawn in surgery, as soon as they saw my thymoma. What does "HF" mean? How does my "score" compare with yours (anyone out there)?

2Fatigued 07-06-2017 03:16 PM

My first ACHR results (2014, blood drawn during thymectomy))

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Fatigued (Post 1246525)
Would you mind looking at the attachment?

I had to take down the attachment. This is the information it provides. My neuros are unresponsive to questions about these results.

Name of test “Ac Re Block”
Patient’s Results "34 HF” What is “HF”?

Reference range [<15]
This seems to mean that the “negative range is 15 or less," right? (Whatever the units are!?)

How does that 2014 "score" compare with yours (anyone out there)?

AnnieB3 07-06-2017 05:25 PM

2Fatigued, please see my post on AChR antibodies.

Mike, I'm sorry you have to go through this right now. I have no experience with radiation. As with any treatment, everyone responds differently. I hope that the effects are nonexistent or minimal. You'll be in my thoughts.

:grouphug:
Annie

Nac Mac Feegle 07-10-2017 06:26 PM

Not really an answer, but

My adventure with radiation was for prostate cancer a year and a half before I started getting MG symptoms.

I had a 9 week course of 5 days a week radiation therapy. I was pretty OK until about week #6, then a few people around me started remarking on how tired I looked. That got me to notice that I had been felling pretty crappy for a week or so.

The Dr. said that was right about On Schedule.

I was pretty tired for about 2+ months after that, then started getting back to normal over the next 6 months.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Juanitad 07-11-2017 01:53 PM

I had been told that I would be nauseous and tired during my radiation treatments and I was certainly watching for it! However, I was very fortunate and never felt nauseous or more tired than was usual with my MG. As Annie3 said though, we all respond differently with mg.