NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Anxiety and OCD (https://www.neurotalk.org/anxiety-and-ocd/)
-   -   Suffering From Frequent Intrusive Thoughts (https://www.neurotalk.org/anxiety-and-ocd/248400-suffering-frequent-intrusive.html)

ccseven7 07-13-2017 08:47 AM

Suffering From Frequent Intrusive Thoughts

hi, i was recommended to come here by someone because they thought you guys would be more knowledgeable than our forums. Basically, I'll be going through my day and I'll just get these sudden dark urges like driving my car into oncoming traffic, kicking a kid, jumping off a building, etc. Usually I can get the ideas out of my head once I leave the area, but not always. These thoughts are not me though, i'm not suicidal or abusive in anyway and they're kind of disturbing me. The person who sent me here said that this could be OCD. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gethprime 07-13-2017 12:00 PM

That wouldnt be OCD. OCD refers to something that is repetitive. Like checking to see if the stove is turned off multiple times before going out. Or like checking to see if your car doors are locked multiple times before heading into the store.

ccseven7 07-13-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gethprime (Post 1247077)
That wouldnt be OCD. OCD refers to something that is repetitive. Like checking to see if the stove is turned off multiple times before going out. Or like checking to see if your car doors are locked multiple times before heading into the store.

That's what i figured until i googled it. It turns out that intrusive thoughts can be a form of OCD. The obsession being the thoughts and the compulsion being the reassurance. Ex: a mother having intrusive thoughts about killing her infant is the obsession. the compulsion is her reassuring that she loves her child and would never harm them.

Skeezyks 07-13-2017 02:51 PM

Hello ccseven7: Welcome to NeuroTalk! :welcome_sign: I trust you will find the time you spend here to be of benefit. :Grin-Nod: Actually what you are referring to is something that is typically referred to as "pure O" (OCD). Here's a link to a YouTube video by California family therapist Kati Morton where Kati talks about pure O:

Pure Obsessional OCD (Pure O) - Kati Morton on mental illness - YouTube

Also... there is a Buddhist technique I'm fond of which may be of some help in dealing with these experiences. It's referred to as "compassionate abiding". Here's a link to a mental-health-oriented description of the practice:

Relieve Distress By Allowing It: Compassionate Abiding 11 | Mindset: Perspective Is Everything

I hope you find it to be of benefit. :Good-Luck: :yahoo:

ccseven7 07-13-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeezyks (Post 1247089)
Hello ccseven7: Welcome to NeuroTalk! :welcome_sign: I trust you will find the time you spend here to be of benefit. :Grin-Nod: Actually what you are referring to is something that is typically referred to as "pure O" (OCD). Here's a link to a YouTube video by California family therapist Kati Morton where Kati talks about pure O:

Also... there is a Buddhist technique I'm fond of which may be of some help in dealing with these experiences. It's referred to as "compassionate abiding". Here's a link to a mental-health-oriented description of the practice:

I hope you find it to be of benefit. :Good-Luck: :yahoo:

Hi, thank you for the welcome [emoji5] I'll be sure to check out the links you've given me thank you so much for providing them :)

Skeezyks 07-13-2017 07:54 PM

Along the same lines... here's a link to a PsychCentral article regarding Pure O. :)

Pure Obsessional OCD | Psych Central