NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Things I did to heal my idiopathic peripheral neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/248481-heal-idiopathic-peripheral-neuropathy.html)

kaciula 07-18-2017 02:43 AM

Things I did to heal my idiopathic peripheral neuropathy

Hi there,

I registered on this forum just to tell others what worked for me in healing my problem.

All of a sudden, 5 years ago, I had started having constant tingling in my feet and lower legs and I was diagnosed with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. The tests showed that I had low conductivity in my nerves in my lower legs and feet. No doctor had any clue what was the cause or how to fix it.

I was quite upset and unhappy. I found this forum and tried various vitamins in the hope that they will improve my condition. Nothing seemed to work and the tingling got worse and I was waking up at night with small electric shocks through my legs.

I kind of admitted defeat and started to work on my mind to accept this condition and go on with my life. I was only 30 years old.

However, last year my condition improved drastically and now I feel slight tingling sensations only if I deliberately focus my mind on the sensations coming from my feet. No more electtric shocks or pain in my feet and legs.

I attribute my healing to 2 things I did:

1. I massaged the soles of my feet daily using a tennis ball. Just stand and bring a tennis ball under your foot and press against it with your foot. It may hurt a bit, depending on which spot you're pressing against. The goal is to massage the entire surface of the sole of your feet so you no longer feel any painful spots. I did this daily any time I had some free time or while watching a video or talking with friends.

I found that the tennis ball massage stimulated my nerves and improved the blood circulation to my feet.

2. I started making weekly visits to a kinetotherapist to improve my back condition. I have lumbar kyphosis and disc degeneration in my lumbar discs. I was doing exercises to improve my posture and have strength in my abs and back muscles.

I believe that by doing exercises and improving my posture, I somehow unblocked the nerves and / or blood vessels that went to my feet.

Well, this is my story. I realize that there can be different causes to peripheral neuropathy but maybe my account helps other people that are in a similar situation as I was. Give it a shot.

Skeezyks 07-18-2017 02:37 PM

Hello kaciula: Welcome to NeuroTalk. Thanks for sharing your experiences! I trust you will find the time you spend here on NT to be of benefit. :)

caroline2 07-19-2017 12:02 PM

I have pretty advanced arthritis in my feet, right foot worst since this is the side of body I had a hip replacement. Many complications from that surgery. Including knee OA worsened. I just came out of a hospital/rehab situation for 4.5 months due to staph infection which went undetected for 2.5 months by doctors.

Anyway the last rehab I was in, I was taught to put tennis balls in a sock and roll my foot on those balls to a count of how long can go. I'll think about standing on the balls. I use 3 balls in a sock. I do that before I start walking after a night's sleep and often during the day. I have I THINK nerve damage from all the OA I live with. And the hip surgery.

These balls do help with circulation and whatever else they are doing.

Thanks for bringing this up. C

pinkynose 07-19-2017 07:15 PM

Thanks Kasciula.
I tried rolling a ball under my foot as I'm a fan of Myofacial release and I think feet is where so many problems begin. Unfortunately my feet were so sensitive the ball triggered symptoms immediately up to my shins. My symptoms are much different now so I think I will try again with perhaps a little less vigor :)

I am so happy that you have been able to fix your IPN and I wish you continued success in the future. It's nice to hear a happy story. :)

kaciula 07-21-2017 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkynose (Post 1247514)
Thanks Kasciula.
I tried rolling a ball under my foot as I'm a fan of Myofacial release and I think feet is where so many problems begin. Unfortunately my feet were so sensitive the ball triggered symptoms immediately up to my shins. M

Hi. If you are standing up when rolling the tennis ball, you can apply very little pressure on the ball so that it doesn't hurt. Initially, my feet hurt a lot and I felt more intense tingling afterwards. But somehow I felt it was doing good and I persevered. Nowadays, I barely feel any uncomfortable sensation in the soles of my feet when doing the ball exercises. So it does take time.

Mychelle 08-15-2017 09:35 AM

I am really glad that I came across this post and the suggestion. The neuropathy in my feet has become more uncomfortable and there are times when I long for a good foot rub. I don't have a mate (other than my Chihuahua), so I'll give this a go! Thanks!

caroline2 08-18-2017 11:44 AM

I would NOT be without Vicks Vapo Rub for my feet and use it for sleep and during the day and wear socks always. I put drops of essential oils in the Vicks too to a little more umph... I think there is a separate post on Vicks somewhere here.