NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   gabapentin/neurontin (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/248600-gabapentin-neurontin.html)

Mari 07-26-2017 03:06 AM

gabapentin/neurontin

Used for depression and anxiety

Neurontin: How it's Used for Depression and Anxiety

M

OhKay 07-26-2017 04:53 AM

There is speculation about whether or not, at least some, of the anxiety seen in BP is a symptom of it, or a separate disorder entirely, but I think likely both are true.

I have never heard of gabapentin being used to treat depression or anxiety in BP. That's interesting. I do take it off-label as an adjunct, but it's to help control hypo/mania.

A lot of the mood stabilizers can help treat hypo/mania or depression. I guess the same is true of some meds they are using off-label, too.

Another interesting article Mari :)

Mari 07-27-2017 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhKay (Post 1247881)
There is speculation about whether or not, at least some, of the anxiety seen in BP is a symptom of it, or a separate disorder entirely, but I think likely both are true.

I have never heard of gabapentin being used to treat depression or anxiety in BP. That's interesting. I do take it off-label as an adjunct, but it's to help control hypo/mania.

A lot of the mood stabilizers can help treat hypo/mania or depression. I guess the same is true of some meds they are using off-label, too.

Another interesting article Mari :)

Yes, my old psychiatrist/neuro gave 300 to me when we were running out of meds. I actually started low dose and titrated it.
He said he prescribes 400 mgs (or was it 600) for people with nerve pain.

Today I noticed it helped with anxiety.
Sleep of course as well.

M

bizi 07-27-2017 09:49 PM

I think that one of my patients took 300mg three times a day
for neuropathy in his feet.
I think you can even take higher doses....????
bizi
of course not saying that you should do that.

Mari 07-28-2017 01:40 AM

The three hundred did not help with anxiety Thursday.

I was not depressed but I had tremendous anxiety.

I took a tiny amount of Buspar and a tiny amount of Klonopin.

Even so, it was a rough day.

bizi 07-28-2017 09:04 AM

I am sorry you had a rough day.
(((((HUGS))))
bizi

Dmom3005 07-31-2017 12:57 PM

THis would make sense. Because its also used in seizures also sometimes.

It is used for pain, I used to use it till I didn't have insurance and had to
stop some of my meds. This is one I've done okay without.

But I used to take it twice a day at 600mg, at the end. I went down so
I could stop it. With time.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

Vowel Lady 08-01-2017 07:21 AM

Wasn't this a huge controversy years ago as pharmaceutical reps were touting this drug for possible use for Bipolar Disorder when studies were either not done indicating it was a good medication for this disorder or even falsified?

Perhaps anecdotally there has been some benefits?

I have taken it for nerve pain and put it on my list as one of those drugs to be taken if absolutely needed, low dose, for short periods of time only...in other words...a possibly helpful medication BUT one with lots of potential side effects.

Buspar sounds like a better choice. ????

bizi 08-01-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vowel Lady (Post 1248189)
Wasn't this a huge controversy years ago as pharmaceutical reps were touting this drug for possible use for Bipolar Disorder when studies were either not done indicating it was a good medication for this disorder or even falsified?

I have taken it for nerve pain and put it on my list as one of those drugs to be taken if absolutely needed, low dose, for short periods of time only...in other words...a possibly helpful medication BUT one with lots of potential side effects.

neurontin has many side effects?
I took it for a while as a mood stabilizer...don't think it worked too long if I remember correctly.
bizi

Mari 08-02-2017 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vowel Lady (Post 1248189)

Gabapentin did not pass the test for bipolar.
It is regularly prescribed for nerve pain and other things.

It is helping me with anxiety and depression right now.

I am taking a low dose -- 300 mgs a day.

M