NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Feeling steps? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/248615-feeling-steps.html)

adip18 07-27-2017 10:08 AM

Feeling steps?

OK so first I want to start by asking do you ever have those days where you're walking around and you can kind of feeling the steps you're taking all the way in your head? Like it almost feels like every step you have is shaking your brain around?
Is this caused by being tired or stressed out?
To be honest this very well could be anxiety getting to me but the other day I was rushing to catch a train and I had quite a few heavy bags on me. As I was I guess speed walking I could feel every single step I was taking in my head. I was so worried this was shaking my brain around and I was getting reconcussed but I had no other choice being as I'm an 18 year old girl and I was in a not so great area so I had to keep speed walking. This was my college orientation though so I did have a very long two days and only got maybe 5 hours of sleep the night before. I don't think this hurt me but I keep replaying it over and over in my mind anyway and have been feeling a bit dizzier and have had more head pressure. Like I said, probably anxiety. Any thoughts?

Hains 07-27-2017 12:39 PM

Yup, been there. I think its your brain (pre-frontal cortex) hyper-analyzing your body for damage on a repetitive loop. Your focus narrows in on everything that could be going wrong. Its important to break this cycle.

Your heightened state of alert is probably associated with a chronic fight-or-flight response, or in other words, a chronic state of sympathetic stress, which is very common in PCS. This is also associated with the anxiety you're observing.

Try to set time aside in your day to relax. Do some breathing excercises and take in some magnesium supplements. Magnesium is a nervous system relaxant. I prefer magnesium citrate powder cause its cheap and sold in grocery stores.

Good Luck

Hains

adip18 07-27-2017 03:43 PM

Thank you so much!! You're very right, I over analyze every single move that I make. I didn't know that about magnesium, I will make sure I add that to my vitamin regimen. Thank you:)

Mark in Idaho 07-27-2017 05:51 PM

Ditto what Hains said. I just wouldn't use the fancy words. LOL

Your heightened awareness of your surroundings caused you to also be aware of the sound of your foot plants. Walking with determination while carrying a load just makes it more noticeable. The brain can tolerate these foot plants. We do them all day long, especially going down stairs or steps.