NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Has anyone actually recovered or is 6 months the time to forget the old you? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/248619-actually-recovered-6-months-time-forget.html)

brandnewconcussion 07-27-2017 11:06 AM

Has anyone actually recovered or is 6 months the time to forget the old you?

I've been wondering when people say they have recovered after a year or so. Is it because they have forgotten how they used to work previously? Or did they actually regain their cognitive faculties/ felt normal again?

Hains 07-27-2017 12:42 PM

Forget normal. Destroy and rebuild. Choose a growth mindset over a poor-me mindset. Turn a setback into a comeback. Take this as an opportunity to become better than you were. It is possible.

Hains

Zabriella 07-27-2017 03:13 PM

I didn't give up until I was 6 years out from my TBI. I kept attempting to improve, to become the person I was before. I had to breakup with who I used to be. She isn't going to come back. All I can do is be the best of this version of me. Six months is too soon to decide you won't get any better. A neurologist told me I would make the greatest amount of improvement in the first two years. I would set that as my mark, if I were you.

Good luck

brandnewconcussion 07-27-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabriella (Post 1247980)
I didn't give up until I was 6 years out from my TBI. I kept attempting to improve, to become the person I was before. I had to breakup with who I used to be. She isn't going to come back. All I can do is be the best of this version of me. Six months is too soon to decide you won't get any better. A neurologist told me I would make the greatest amount of improvement in the first two years. I would set that as my mark, if I were you.

Good luck

I dont know about "getting better" , but I feel weird and strange every day and its killing me. I can barely sleep because of the migraines and tinnitus. I just want to feel fine again, not even talking about being the super fast thinker I was before.

Jomar 07-27-2017 10:12 PM

Injury or illness is much like going through the stages of grief..
The 5 Stages of Grief & Loss | Psych Central

greenfrog 07-28-2017 08:08 PM

Recovery can take longer than six months

My recovery proceeded gradually and really took about 3-4 years. I felt somewhat better after 14-16 months. Quite a bit better after 18-24 months. A lot better after 30-36 months. Probably some more incremental improvement during the year or so after that. I still feel I am making progress, in a way -- not by gaining more brainpower, but by using my existing brainpower more intelligently.

Eventually I got back to about 90 or 95% of my pre-concussion state (in my subjective estimation). I feel really lucky, as I now have a high quality of life with meaningful work, a loving family, etc. But I do a lot of little things to make sure I stay on track (getting enough rest, good nutrition, avoiding impact sports/activities, managing stress, living at a slower pace generally and in brain-healthy ways as much as possible, etc). And, as mentioned, I have a very supportive partner and family.

My advice would be to focus on living day-to-day in a way that best supports your recovery, and not think too much about timelines (hard, I know).

brandnewconcussion 07-29-2017 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenfrog (Post 1248059)
My recovery proceeded gradually and really took about 3-4 years. I felt somewhat better after 14-16 months. Quite a bit better after 18-24 months. A lot better after 30-36 months. Probably some more incremental improvement during the year or so after that. I still feel I am making progress, in a way -- not by gaining more brainpower, but by using my existing brainpower more intelligently.

Eventually I got back to about 90 or 95% of my pre-concussion state (in my subjective estimation). I feel really lucky, as I now have a high quality of life with meaningful work, a loving family, etc. But I do a lot of little things to make sure I stay on track (getting enough rest, good nutrition, avoiding impact sports/activities, managing stress, living at a slower pace generally and in brain-healthy ways as much as possible, etc). And, as mentioned, I have a very supportive partner and family.

My advice would be to focus on living day-to-day in a way that best supports your recovery, and not think too much about timelines (hard, I know).

you....hit your head on a metal beam, did not feel many symptoms at that moment except mild dizziness....and took 3-4 years to recover?

greenfrog 07-29-2017 10:36 AM

Symptoms got drastically worse the next day.