NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   are we getting enough magnesium? (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/248685-getting-magnesium.html)

Mari 08-02-2017 04:20 AM

are we getting enough magnesium?

Apparently not getting enough magnesium can cause anxiety and depression
John Libbey Eurotext - Magnesium Research
- Anxiety and stress among science students. Study of calcium and magnesium alterations

8 Ways Magnesium Relieves Anxiety and Stress | Be Brain Fit

Magnesium-deficient diet alters depression- and anxiety-related behavior in mice—influence of desipramine and Hypericum perforatum extract - ScienceDirect
Foods:
Spinach
Chard
Pumpkin seeds
Yogurt or Kefir
Almonds
Black Beans
Avocado
Figs
Dark Chocolate
Banana

bizi 08-02-2017 07:43 AM

This is a great list of foods!
thanks Mari!
bizi

OhKay 08-02-2017 07:57 AM

That was an interesting article, Mari. A PCP, years ago, told me I was deficient and I was taking supplements.

bizi 08-02-2017 08:03 AM

I have been tasking mag oxide 1000mg for chronic constipation...
Wonder if any of it is utilized in other ways?
bizi
maybe I need to take another supplement?
My last bone density test was perfect. She said "People would die for your numbers".:)

bizi

Dmom3005 08-04-2017 01:17 PM

Magnesium is also very good for bones hurting. I try to remember to take for this.

Donna :grouphug::hug:

Gethprime 08-10-2017 01:20 PM

i take chelated mag. oxide gives me the runs. i take 250mg tabs. it helps with my anxiety and sleep jerks. it doesnt completely get rid of them but it helps out a lot.

caroline2 09-13-2017 04:38 PM

I tried to post this here, but I never saw it.

About bipolar disorder (manic depression)

I'm big on grape seed ex and magnesium, these are my Big 2.

caroline2 09-14-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gethprime (Post 1248795)
i take chelated mag. oxide gives me the runs. i take 250mg tabs. it helps with my anxiety and sleep jerks. it doesnt completely get rid of them but it helps out a lot.

Oxide is your least best mag to take, work with mag glycinate or mag citrate as these will eliminate the "runs" issue. I take At Least 400mg mag citrate or glycinate daily.

Mari 09-14-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1251015)
Oxide is your least best mag to take, work with mag glycinate or mag citrate as these will eliminate the "runs" issue. I take At Least 400mg mag citrate or glycinate daily.

Interesting that your link above showed that magnesium is a natural calcium
channel blocker -- which one of my meds does.

M

caroline2 09-14-2017 01:26 PM

I've been studying magnesium for well over 10 yrs and hardly take any calcium and much much more magnesium. So many do end up with calcium deposits and have a lot of issues. I don't see conventional MD's and I wonder if they even talk about magnesium's importance for SO MUCH.

Back when I was in my early 50's I had two mammograms and the results showed all this calcification....and in those years I was taking calcium. I choose to NOT get mamms now. Have not since those two. I work with other "stuff" for breast health. OT but along the calcium lines.