NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Need help identifying a symptom (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/249195-help-identifying-symptom.html)

QWERTY02 09-12-2017 12:20 AM

Need help identifying a symptom

Is there a buzzword or single word for this symptom...

It's like "head nausea" or a "hyper-sensitive gag reflex".
It's a general un-well feeling or tension in the nasal/ throat/ ear area that leads to dry-heaving or retching.
I don't want to call it "nausea" because it truly has nothing to do with the stomach.
It originates completely in the head area.
There's no vomiting involved and the stomach never really hurts.

I explained it to my neuro as "nausea" and he prescribed me Reglan...which seems to be a medication that deals more with the stomach. Again, there's really no stomach issue here, just retching.

Mark in Idaho 09-12-2017 02:44 AM

I had a swallowing issue 20 or 25 years ago. Sometimes, it felt like things wanted to come back up just as I was trying to swallow. I had it checked by a neuro and ENT and even a Stanford gastro, It ended up being a nerve from my neck that was messed up that a chiro fixed with a spinal adjustment.

I wish I could find another chiro with his skills because the issue comes back from time to time.

Mary G 09-12-2017 03:38 PM

Identifying symptom

Hi.Mark. new today so forgive any mistakes
Name is Mary G from Phila
I have a question do you have a sinusitis or a post nasal drip. If so could cause that feeling

Mark in Idaho 09-12-2017 07:24 PM

Mary G.

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I have 55+ years experience with sinus issues and post nasal drip has never caused these sensations. When a chiro treats me and within a few hours, the symptom is gone, it is quite evident what the problem was. I can turn and tip my head and cause the symptom. For me, it is a neck issue.

Do you have PCS ?

Can we help you with something ?

QWERTY,

I also have had similar symptoms from an infrequent hiatal hernia. I resolve it with heal drops. Odd how something at the bottom of my esophagus can cause the feeling at the top of my esophagus. I have intermittent TOS that can cause odd symptoms, too, but they are usually lower in my abdomen.

Estreetfan 09-14-2017 06:24 AM

Querty

if this is like a nausea headache - thats what I have been calling it - try icing your neck. My vestibular therapist suggested this to me and it works

QWERTY02 09-18-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estreetfan (Post 1250995)
Querty

if this is like a nausea headache - thats what I have been calling it - try icing your neck. My vestibular therapist suggested this to me and it works

YES! I've actually been applying heat and/ or massaging the crap out of it and that seems to (at least) progress the situation. It doesn't solve the issue, but makes it more tolerable.

To me, it seems the contact or physical stimulation helps the most...it doesn't matter what type of contact is made (ice, heat, massage, etc).

Any explanation from your vestibular therapist as to why this helps?

Mark in Idaho 09-18-2017 04:22 PM

Heat tends to feel better but icing reduces inflammation. Inflammation is the more common issue.

Estreetfan 09-19-2017 02:30 PM

Yes, inflamation.
This also works better than drugs when I get migraines..I love my ice packs