NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Excruciating pain 5 days after implant (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/249372-excruciating-pain-5-days-implant.html)

flyingturtle 09-24-2017 02:09 PM

Excruciating pain 5 days after implant

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this forum and I'm looking for help.

5 days ago, I had the steel peg put in for a dental implant. For the first 1-2 days afterwards I was completely fine - driving, minimal pain meds, even went out to dinner! However, for the last few days an unbearable pain has built up - it's a throbbing feeling underneath the implant, with pain shooting up my face to under my eye, and that whole side of my face is swollen!

I'm constantly in tears and can't sleep. Even the heavy duty pain meds like percocet aren't enough - I'm in terrible pain again hours before my next dosage time.

Has anyone experienced or seen this type of symptom? I didn't think it was normal to have such incredible pain after implants and my doctor has said we just have to "wait and see". I'd truly appreciate any thought or guidance... thank you so much :(

caroline2 09-29-2017 03:31 PM

I see you haven't gotten comments but I've been looking at your post. Hope by now you've gotten some relief from dental people. I have some comments and suggestions if you'd like to hear them ** C

jenny8484 10-11-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingturtle (Post 1251565)
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this forum and I'm looking for help.

5 days ago, I had the steel peg put in for a dental implant. For the first 1-2 days afterwards I was completely fine - driving, minimal pain meds, even went out to dinner! However, for the last few days an unbearable pain has built up - it's a throbbing feeling underneath the implant, with pain shooting up my face to under my eye, and that whole side of my face is swollen!

I'm constantly in tears and can't sleep. Even the heavy duty pain meds like percocet aren't enough - I'm in terrible pain again hours before my next dosage time.

Has anyone experienced or seen this type of symptom? I didn't think it was normal to have such incredible pain after implants and my doctor has said we just have to "wait and see". I'd truly appreciate any thought or guidance... thank you so much :(

Yes this happened to me a few months ago. I had an implant in (on a lower front tooth) and 10 days after surgery was in excruciating pain just as you described- couldn't sleep and painkillers did not help. The oral surgeon said that he didn't see signs of infection but after the 4th day of extreme pain I had him take the implant out and I immediately felt better. I don't know what the cause was and my oral surgeon wants to try again in a few months...

I know you posted this a few weeks ago but was just curious of the outcome?

caroline2 10-11-2017 07:33 PM

I am curious in general how implants turn out for the population. These seem so invasive and I've never had an interest in them. Sorry some here have so many issues.