NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Laughing and crying without a reason (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/249452-laughing-crying-reason.html)

nctx 09-29-2017 12:03 PM

Laughing and crying without a reason

Hello guys,
i had a brain injury around 2 years ago and since then im suffering from many symptoms including the usual ones like anxiety, fatigue and those things.
One of my symptoms is that sometimes i have the desire to start laughing in appropriate moments like when talking serious to someone or the desire sometimes to just cry without knowing the reason. In most cases i can suppress it, but I am just wondering about it because it seems for me like it increased in the last months. I think technically this is called pathological laughing/crying.
I dont remember of having this before my brain injury so i wanted to ask you guys if someone of you and I have this in common.

Best wishes to all of you and thank you for your answers.

Mark in Idaho 09-29-2017 02:23 PM

nctx,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

What you are describing is also called pseudobulbar affect or PBA

Here is a link about it. What Is PseudoBulbar Affect (PBA)? | PBAInfo

PBA is not uncommon with PCS. It can manifest at various intensities.

There are drug treatments but as with many drug treatments, side effects must be given serious consideration.

It would be good is you become familiar with the term PVA and pseudobulbar affect. If you are in a situation with police, they could mistake your response for intoxication or drugs. Saying, "Officer, I suffer from PBA, pseudobulbar affect. I am not being disrespectful."

Some of us carry a slip of paper next to our driver's license that explains some of our odd responses.

My best to you.

davOD 09-30-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1251921)

If you are in a situation with police, they could mistake your response for intoxication or drugs. Saying, "Officer, I suffer from PBA, pseudobulbar affect. I am not being disrespectful."

Some of us carry a slip of paper next to our driver's license that explains some of our odd responses.

My best to you.

Mine is in front of my ID!

Pete in WI 10-22-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1251972)
Mine is in front of my ID!

Do you have something signed by your physician that you carry? I can experience crying at times when one would expect happiness.

Mark in Idaho 10-22-2017 08:23 PM

There is no need to have a physician signed note. The simple fact that one has prepared for the need to explain these issues and printed up a note is enough. Add to that the fact that the note explains the issue far better than we can when we are under stress and a simple printed note works great.

Bud 10-25-2017 10:11 AM

For a couple of years after my accident I cried at the drop of a hat.

3.5 years later it's not so bad but there are times when something brings tears that are unexplainable and usually catch me off guard. They leave as unexplainable as they appear.

Bud