NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Rash/breakout (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/249540-rash-breakout.html)

LIT LOVE 10-06-2017 03:10 AM

Rash/breakout

So my arm with the torn rotator cuff, that I had a horrific flare with but is now calm, broke out in a rash/pustules that looks somewhat like shingles. But covers half my upper arm (the area that got hot to the touch when flared) and goes down my back all the way to my behind. I used sea salt spray and lotion that is drying it out, but is this a CRPS rash? I see my GP Saturday. Thanks.

RSD ME 10-06-2017 09:46 AM

I have gotten rashes on my back and neck and arms since I got rsd and they looked like shingles but I think they are rsd related. My GP said they weren't shingles and gave me a cortisone creme for the blistering and itching. It seemed to help. Hope you don't have shingles. As we all know having RSD is bad enough.

LIT LOVE 10-06-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSD ME (Post 1252344)
I have gotten rashes on my back and neck and arms since I got rsd and they looked like shingles but I think they are rsd related. My GP said they weren't shingles and gave me a cortisone creme for the blistering and itching. It seemed to help. Hope you don't have shingles. As we all know having RSD is bad enough.

I was fairly certain it was RSD, but it's good to hear from others! So, thank you very much. ;)

BioBased 10-08-2017 05:00 AM

After the strongest cortisone cream was a complete failure, my dermatologist told me it would not help if a rash was RSD related. The only things that seems to help are Vicks Vapor Rub and scotch tape.

LIT LOVE 10-08-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioBased (Post 1252438)
After the strongest cortisone cream was a complete failure, my dermatologist told me it would not help if a rash was RSD related. The only things that seems to help are Vicks Vapor Rub and scotch tape.

I'll try the Vicks! Thank you.

I use a Sea salt solution that seems to help somewhat: Amazon.com : Clarisea Tone Correcting Clarifying Face Soak, 15 Ounce : Skin Care Products : Health & Personal Care

Hydrocolloid dressing SOMETIMES work well depending on the stage of the rash. For larger areas I use these: Amazon.com: Dynarex Dynaderm Hydrocolloid Dressing, Thin ,2 x 2 Inch/2 Count: Health & Personal Care

For spread out issues or acne, I use: Amazon.com : Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patch 24patches*1 sheets : Beauty

They are the same material. If you want to try either or both, pm me your address and I'll send you some to try.

If anyone else has been upset that Morton's discontinued their Epsom salt lotion, I found an alternative that is close and inexpensive: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Procure-S...fl-oz/49912425

Becca71 10-11-2017 10:25 AM

What about the basics like Aquafor? Or Vitamin A&D (yes it is a diaper cream but it is also a good barrier cream and healing too).
If it is itchy, Sarna can help with that, layered under Aquafor.
A prescription steroid cream, have they tried that?

RSD ME 10-11-2017 04:17 PM

My dr prescribed clindamycin phosphate 1% to apply once daily (It is a topical solution) for the rash that I have on my head and back. It seems to help a little but is not strong enough. I will have to go back to see what else he can do. I've been trying to get rid of this rash for years now. It's horribly painful and burns and itches too. And on top of that I have a new rash on my back that burns alot especially in the shower. For some reason head and shoulders shampoo helps alleviate the pain and itching for both rashes but is also not strong enough to get rid of the rashes. I'll let you know what my dr says next. Maybe it might help you.

BioBased 10-15-2017 02:48 PM

I am about to try icthammol ointment on mine. I will post an update in a few days.

RSD ME 10-16-2017 12:22 PM

I am going back to my dermatologist. The meds I have and home therapies I am doing are just not strong enough to get rid of the rash I have. I hope you all have gotten rid of your rashes. I will let you know what my dr says to do next. I am thinking oral antibiotics might be the best thing to take now because I believe I now have a bacterial infection caused from my rashes (folliculitus).

BioBased 10-17-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSD ME (Post 1252976)
I am going back to my dermatologist. The meds I have and home therapies I am doing are just not strong enough to get rid of the rash I have. I hope you all have gotten rid of your rashes. I will let you know what my dr says to do next. I am thinking oral antibiotics might be the best thing to take now because I believe I now have a bacterial infection caused from my rashes (folliculitus).

Years ago, before RSD, I was at first misdiagnosed with eczema, which ultimately turned out to be a unresponsive case of folliculitus on both my legs. It was horrible.

When I told the doctor that my Dad's folliculitis was treated with stronger and stronger antibiotics that led to C diff, which then led to his death, she chose to treat me with laser hair removal. I never thought it would be appoved by insurance, but lucky for me it was. And it worked beautifully.

Btw, the icthammol ointment seems to be helping my CRPS rashes, it has calmed done the itchiness.