NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Cognitive impairment..... (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/250014-cognitive-impairment.html)

bizi 11-11-2017 11:54 PM

Cognitive impairment.....

Cognitive Impairment: A Frequently Overlooked Symptom of Bipolar Disorder | THE SUNNY SHADOW

This is a good read.
bizi

Mari 11-12-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1254540)

That's quite depressing. And what a scary/ugly picture?!

This study does not look good either.
Neuropsychological testing of cognitive impairment in euthymic bipolar disorder: an individual patient data meta-analysis - Bourne - 213 - Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library

Any researchers trying to help us???!!! :mad:

M

bizi 11-12-2017 12:37 AM

Yes that was a scary picture.:(
But at least I can perhaps point to my bipolar for my cognitive decline and Maybe I don't have early altzheimers.
I have just always blamed my meds for ruining my memory.
I don't know maybe they did?????
bizi

mymorgy 11-12-2017 05:52 AM

I wonder if the were taking topamax or suffered from lack of sleep

OhKay 11-12-2017 07:30 AM

Thank you for the articles ladies :)

None of this is breaking news to me, but it is scary s***. I have discussed it with my pdoc.

I've had two neuropsych studies done, but I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, not BPI, at the time. Both times it was determined that MS was the main reason for my cognitive issues, but the psych problems (and fatigue) were found to be contributing factors...
But that was almost 10 years ago. I do wonder if the assessment would change with my BP dx, but I am so far gone now, I don't want to go through the testing again, and I don't want to know how bad off I am.

Of course most meds do not help these kind of problems, especially if you are on a lot of them.

(Early-onset Alzheimer's Disease is very rare, and often genetic)

bizi 11-12-2017 10:12 AM

Thank you kay. All I can say is that I am glad that I went thru nursing school before meds. And I could never function as a regular nurse now. So I have to keep doing my job as long as I can, arthritis and all.
bizi

OhKay 11-13-2017 06:55 AM

I'm mostly disabled because of my cognitive problems. My physical handicaps don't help tho.

Bizi, I see now reason why you wouldn't be able to do your job until you're ready fo retirement, as far as cognition. You could always hire someone to do all your billing and paperwork :hug::hug::hug:

Brokenfriend 11-14-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1254540)

I have some sort of cognitive-impairment. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 11-14-2017 11:00 PM

I am sorry friend, me too.
:(
bizi

OhKay 11-15-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 1254647)
I have some sort of cognitive-impairment. BF:hug::hug::hug:

I'm sorry that you have to deal with these problems, too :hug::hug::hug: