NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Shingles vaccine and Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/250073-shingles-vaccine-peripheral-neuropathy.html)

kip fuller 11-18-2017 07:11 PM

Shingles vaccine and Peripheral Neuropathy

First post and would like some feedback
At 59 I was in perfect health with no issues or meds. Two years ago went through many unanticipated life events including death of three family members my 17 year old west and a fire that nearly destroyed our home. All happened within a 90 day period.
I was under tremendous stress but my Dr told me it was time to get my shingles vaccine. Since I heard stress can trigger shingles I agreed to get vaccinated.
About two weeks after the vaccine I got small but painful blisters across both shoulders and it felt like a sunburn.
I went to a neurologist and he said I had a slight activation of shingles.
Heres the real problem.
Two weeks after that my right hand and wrist started going numb and has slowly over the last two years evolved into bouts of extreme fatigue and Peripheral Neuropathy in all extremities, bladder control issue and really messed up a very active lifestyle I had before trying to take care of myself by getting the shingles vaccine.
This is not a coincidence and Have been tested for MS, lyme , Lupus and just about every other test.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this.
Thanks so much ,
Kip

kiwi33 11-19-2017 12:44 AM

Hi Kip

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

What you have described might be Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN).

This information might help you to ask your doctors questions about PHN Postherpetic neuralgia: Causes, treatment, and prevention.

Best wishes.

Kstevens100 08-09-2018 03:15 PM

Me too

Quote:

Originally Posted by kip fuller (Post 1254816)
First post and would like some feedback
At 59 I was in perfect health with no issues or meds. Two years ago went through many unanticipated life events including death of three family members my 17 year old west and a fire that nearly destroyed our home. All happened within a 90 day period.
I was under tremendous stress but my Dr told me it was time to get my shingles vaccine. Since I heard stress can trigger shingles I agreed to get vaccinated.
About two weeks after the vaccine I got small but painful blisters across both shoulders and it felt like a sunburn.
I went to a neurologist and he said I had a slight activation of shingles.
Heres the real problem.
Two weeks after that my right hand and wrist started going numb and has slowly over the last two years evolved into bouts of extreme fatigue and Peripheral Neuropathy in all extremities, bladder control issue and really messed up a very active lifestyle I had before trying to take care of myself by getting the shingles vaccine.
This is not a coincidence and Have been tested for MS, lyme , Lupus and just about every other test.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this.
Thanks so much ,
Kip

I had the shingles vaccination June 20, 2018 and has a painful lump on my arm. Two weeks later I developed peripheral neuropathy in both hands. It has been a month with no relief. They ache like I have the flu and my last two fingers involuntarily flip in towards my palms when I sleep. The doctor gave me steroids, but it has not helped. I am on day 2 of 4. I am also about to be tested for Lyme, lupus and the like.

janieg 08-09-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kstevens100 (Post 1266336)
I had the shingles vaccination June 20, 2018 and has a painful lump on my arm. Two weeks later I developed peripheral neuropathy in both hands. It has been a month with no relief. They ache like I have the flu and my last two fingers involuntarily flip in towards my palms when I sleep. The doctor gave me steroids, but it has not helped. I am on day 2 of 4. I am also about to be tested for Lyme, lupus and the like.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Let us know how things go.

I actually just got my first does of the Shingrix vaccine last month. Will go for my next dose next month. I've already had shingles one in my late 40s, and my neuro actually speculated my neuropathy could be related.

Chicosalt 01-18-2019 09:22 PM

Hi Janieg.
Your doctor said your neuropathy is related to the shingles you had in your forties, or the shot?