NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   lumbar sympathetic block made pain worse. (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/250223-lumbar-sympathetic-block-pain-worse.html)

Alice P 12-03-2017 06:12 PM

lumbar sympathetic block made pain worse.

My husband had his first (and last !) lumbar sympathetic block three weeks ago and his pain went from an 7/8 to a 10 + . His injury (right foot and ankle) is three plus years old and I read that lumbar sympathetic block only work on newer injuries . Has anyone had a similar experience with the blocks ?

LIT LOVE 12-03-2017 10:35 PM

I had stellate ganglion blocks in my original site for more than a dozen years. They finally stopped working a few years ago but still work on other side. The only time I had an increase of pain it was caused by a radiofrequency neurotomy, which was permanent.

catra121 12-04-2017 06:16 AM

My pain was made worse by a lumbar sympathetic block and actually spread after one. I had 2 prior to the block that caused this with no bad effects (but limited to no relief so I still am annoyed at myself for letting the dr continue the series of blocks when they weren't helping but attribute that to my desperation at the time for any chance at relief). I have heard similar from a couple others but it's pretty rare for a block to make you worse. However...any kind of trauma at all cab cause flare ups or things to worsen...and though blocks are pretty minimally invasive they are still invasive and can cause problems. I hope that this is just a flare up for your husband and that he is able to get some relief.

Alice P 12-05-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catra121 (Post 1255577)
My pain was made worse by a lumbar sympathetic block and actually spread after one. I had 2 prior to the block that caused this with no bad effects (but limited to no relief so I still am annoyed at myself for letting the dr continue the series of blocks when they weren't helping but attribute that to my desperation at the time for any chance at relief). I have heard similar from a couple others but it's pretty rare for a block to make you worse. However...any kind of trauma at all cab cause flare ups or things to worsen...and though blocks are pretty minimally invasive they are still invasive and can cause problems. I hope that this is just a flare up for your husband and that he is able to get some relief.

So, as of last night his pain has gone back to 'normal' (its pretty sad when pain is considered normal) and he's at about an 8. Maybe the block caused a flare up. IDK I'm just happy that the pain has subsided somewhat .