NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   SSDI Few Questions (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/250250-ssdi-questions.html)

MXS80 12-07-2017 06:07 AM

SSDI Few Questions

Hello all! I have actually been going through the many posts here attempting to find the answer, but alas I'm still confused as ever. :confused:

I applied for SSDI in May and happened to check on the status yesterday, which to my surprise it states a check was cut a day ago. I've not received a letter or anything, but it shows up as payments will be on or around date etc. My question is after reading my benefit letter (which didn't say much except the amount for the month) it states the check that is coming is for November 2017 so does that mean I will get another one this month for December? I'm just really confused right now about how payments go. I did read the bottom where it states payments for the previous month are given in the next, but if I am receiving a payment from November 2017 would that mean I am going to continue receiving payments as if it was a normal schedule? Ex. November 1st, Dec 1st, Jan 1st and so on? I apologize in advance for my weird and probably obvious question, but I am just really in shock and confused about everything. :confused:

davOD 12-07-2017 08:25 AM

I just read but have forgotten....Checks go out on the date day of birth...so fist Wednesday was like 1-12, then 2nd 13-20, ect...

Its always a Wednesday for the month....My guess is yes probably another on December unless it was back pay check?

Mz Migraine 12-07-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

to my surprise it states a check was cut a day ago.
I find that strange. SSDI payments are "directly deposited" in a bank account. Have check w/your bank? There may be a surprise waiting for you. :wink:

:hug:

Jomar 12-08-2017 01:32 AM

[If you apply for Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits, a new law went into effect March 1, 2013, requiring that you receive your payments electronically. If you did not sign up for electronic payments when you applied for benefits, we strongly urge you to do it now. If you still receive checks, the U.S. Department of the Treasury will contact you about complying with the requirement. For more information regarding switching to an electronic payment, visit Treasury’s Go Direct website or call the helpline at 1-800-333-1795. ]
https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/

MXS80 12-09-2017 01:00 AM

Thanks all, I did call to the SS line and I was recently approved, but I did not give them bank info so they did send out a paper check to me. I did not ask if it was backpay or when I would get my monthly allotment. I was just in shock honestly. I went to my ssa website and setup direct deposit for my bank, but it won't take effect until February 2018. (Not sure why it takes so long?) I suppose now I will just wait for what they send me in the mail.

On the SSA website it says "November 2017 to November 2017 - $1200, 12/6/2017 paper check" and then it says as of December 2017 my new amount would be $1228 so that is why I was not sure what any of that was. I don't think I am entitled to backpay? I suppose just waiting it out is best for now.

davOD 12-09-2017 09:25 AM

Back pay goes to the day and month you were disabled....In my case I waited a year to sign up for SS.....So after the 4 month approval, I got back pay for the year and 4 months.....Then my checks get cut every 3rd Wednesday.

So if you have a disability date, it would go back to their.

LIT LOVE 12-09-2017 10:00 PM

They can choose the date you listed as your Alleged Onset Date or choose a later date if medical evidence shows you qualified then or if you had a birthday turning 50 or 55. Eligibility for Medicare is also effected by the Established Onset Date.