NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   What can we do to save SS? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/250372-save-ss.html)

davOD 12-20-2017 11:05 AM

What can we do to save SS?

Well I am upset, disturbed, and infuriated!.....

Now the tax bill gets passed and its an all out attack, on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicade...

I feel hopless, and powerless!.....

Republicans Will Cut Social Security and Medicare After Tax Plan Passes, Says Marco Rubio

Chemar 12-20-2017 11:55 AM

Just a quick reminder that, where we fully understand the need to discuss this important issue that has the potential to impact many members, we do request that everyone please remember the guideline to limit directly partisan political comments, so as to avoid arguments. We understand that can be a fine line and will give as much leeway as possible, but will have to intervene if things become heated.
Thanks

echoes long ago 12-20-2017 12:28 PM

If your senator or representative in the House voted No thank them....if they voted yes, stay informed and do what you can to make sure they do not get re elected in 2018 or 2020. If they do make a move to cut medicare and social security in 2018 before the next election make phone calls to your senators and representative, go to town halls, visit their office, to make sure that they know you are against it and to apply pressure.

davOD 12-21-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1256384)
If your senator or representative in the House voted No thank them....if they voted yes, stay informed and do what you can to make sure they do not get re elected in 2018 or 2020. If they do make a move to cut medicare and social security in 2018 before the next election make phone calls to your senators and representative, go to town halls, visit their office, to make sure that they know you are against it and to apply pressure.

Well, I called and emailed and still they voted against me?

Corporations are people, and money is free speech!

I am not a corporation, and I have little money!.......So this is the New America?

echoes long ago 12-21-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1256431)
Well, I called and emailed and still they voted against me?

Corporations are people, and money is free speech!

I am not a corporation, and I have little money!.......So this is the New America?

its nothing new, it has been going on for 4 decades now.......be careful who you vote for on the federal, state and local level.

Mz Migraine 12-21-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

If they do make a move to cut medicare and social security in 2018.....

Personally, I do not think that will ever happen. At least NOT in my lifetime.
If it does & that's a big IF.....
There will be a revolution by Baby Boomers headed by AARP. This generation of Baby Boomers, the majority were once Hippies.

"The Revolution will NOT be televised."

:hug:

davOD 12-21-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mz Migraine (Post 1256438)
Personally, I do not think that will ever happen. At least NOT in my lifetime.
If it does & that's a big IF.....
There will be a revolution by Baby Boomers headed by AARP. This generation of Baby Boomers, the majority were once Hippies.

"The Revolution will NOT be televised."

:hug:

Well I personally blame the boomers of the mess we have been in for close to 40 years......Basically, they got theirs, the hek with the rest of you! IMO

LIT LOVE 12-22-2017 03:16 AM

If you read the conservative political think tanks proposals about SS disability reform over the past few years you'll have a good idea of what is being considered. There could be massive changes, such as eliminating SSI for children or altogether, eliminating the Grid Rules, requiring applications to reapply for benefits every year instead of CDRs, etc.

Keep in mind when politicians promise not to touch SS or Medicare, many of them are only talking about retirement benefits.

CHIP has been around for 20 years and some children will begin to lose as early as January 1. It's another example of a vulnerable population that doesn't have a voice.

davOD 12-22-2017 10:38 AM

Is it true there is a automatic 4% cut to Medicare because of this?.....I have now heard it 3 different times?.....What will that mean to us?

echoes long ago 12-22-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1256462)
If you read the conservative political think tanks proposals about SS disability reform over the past few years you'll have a good idea of what is being considered. There could be massive changes, such as eliminating SSI for children or altogether, eliminating the Grid Rules, requiring applications to reapply for benefits every year instead of CDRs, etc.

Keep in mind when politicians promise not to touch SS or Medicare, many of them are only talking about retirement benefits.

CHIP has been around for 20 years and some children will begin to lose as early as January 1. It's another example of a vulnerable population that doesn't have a voice.

we may be vulnerable but we certainly have a voice and must be ever vigilant.