NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Which is better for breakfast? Instant oatmeal or a banana? (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/250706-breakfast-instant-oatmeal-banana.html)

bizi 01-22-2018 09:23 AM

Which is better for breakfast? Instant oatmeal or a banana?

I am eating well! That is of most importance.
Had some oatmeal this morning, I forgot about it as an option in the morning as I usually don't eat breakfast.
But they say you should eat something to get your day started.
I think it is about 150 calories about the same as a banana.
I wonder which is a better choice for breakfast.
my oatmeal has quite a bit of sugar but is very satisfying and I don't have to worry about it being ripe or over ripe. Bananas are easier to grab and go though. I have plenty of oatmeal and right now have not any bananas so it was a no brainer this morning.
We only live 3 blocks from the grocery store.
bizi

Dmom3005 01-22-2018 06:56 PM

I personally would do the oatmeal and the banana in it

Not that it would probably help with calories. But I like
banana in my cereals.

Donna:hug::grouphug:

tnthomas 01-23-2018 12:29 AM

You definitely don't want to skip breakfast, and shouldn't worry about consuming calories early in the day.

If you're counting calories and find yourself overindulging(say, at lunch) then you could make an adjustment at dinner time and eat lightly.

mymorgy 01-23-2018 06:54 AM

why is breakfast important? I just have coffee. when i was little i just had chocolate milk warm

Researchers have found that, on average, people who eat breakfast are thinner than those who don't. That could be because eating foods with protein and fiber in the morning keeps your appetite in check the rest of the day. ... Studies show that most people who lose weight and keep the weight off eat breakfast every day.

OhKay 01-23-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnthomas (Post 1258082)
You definitely don't want to skip breakfast, and shouldn't worry about consuming calories early in the day.

If you're counting calories and find yourself overindulging(say, at lunch) then you could make an adjustment at dinner time and eat lightly.

I've never heard that, but it seems like sound and good advice.
Thank you for joining the conversation :)

OhKay 01-23-2018 07:21 AM

Bizi,

You could always switch off. You don't have to have the same thing every day.

bizi 01-23-2018 08:00 AM

I bought a bunch of greek yogurt: oikos zero:
no fat no artificial sweeteners, use stevia to sweeten.
120 calories
15 grams of protein
6 grams of fiber.
So this is a good choice.
Thanks!
bizi

tnthomas 01-23-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymorgy (Post 1258092)
why is breakfast important? I just have coffee. when i was little i just had chocolate milk warm

Researchers have found that, on average, people who eat breakfast are thinner than those who don't. That could be because eating foods with protein and fiber in the morning keeps your appetite in check the rest of the day. ... Studies show that most people who lose weight and keep the weight off eat breakfast every day.

Eating keeps your metabolism(and energy!) going. Starving slows down the burning of calories.

bizi 01-24-2018 09:38 PM

Why It's Okay to Skip Breakfast | HuffPost
It is ok to skip breakfast!
bizi

OhKay 01-25-2018 08:45 AM

That was an interesting article. I've never heard of intermittent fasting before, but it kinda sounds like a fancy way of saying you're just skipping breakfast to me.