NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/250912-glossopharyngeal-neuralgia.html)

baa137 02-14-2018 11:36 AM

Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia

Hello.

I am new to this forum but I am hoping to find support in people who understand what I am going through. I am 29 years old. When I was 27, I was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia. I went 19 months with out an attack. They have done multiple tests and don't see anything that would be causing the problem. As my neurologist started to dig further into the issue and my symptoms, she discovered that I in fact have glossopharyngeal neuralgia instead. It is excruciatingly painful, and my attacks come on without any warning. No one understands what I am going through and because it isn't something they can "see" I have some that feel that I over-exaggerate my pain. I know I will most likely have to deal with this for the rest of my life, but please someone tells me this gets easier. :(

kiwi33 02-14-2018 04:00 PM

Hi baa137

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

The sticky thread in the neuralgia forum (https://www.neurotalk.org/forum105/) is worth looking at and the Search command (https://www.neurotalk.org/search.php) could retrieve other topics which might help you.

Best wishes.

Helen Aden 03-18-2018 04:18 AM

Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia

Hi,
I was visiting my daughter in Zurich when l started getting very painful sharp electric type stabs in the throat when swallowing or coughing. These stabs progressed to incredibly painful debilitating attacks where sometimes l seized and my heart would stop.
The hospital was convinced l was a heart patient and l woke in surgery as they put in a temporary pace maker. I was in hospital for 3 weeks before lyrica worked on stopping the stabs and the attacks. I found a fabulous Neurological surgeon back home in Melbourne who will perform Microvascular Decompression surgery and place a piece of teflon sponge between the artery and the 9th cranial nerve. I am very apprehensive but for me as a person living alone l think it is a sensible way to go.I fully understand your pain. It is absolutely intollerable. I hope you get the right help fast.
Helen Aden Melbourne Victoria Australia.
Quote:

Originally Posted by baa137 (Post 1258995)
Hello.

I am new to this forum but I am hoping to find support in people who understand what I am going through. I am 29 years old. When I was 27, I was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia. I went 19 months with out an attack. They have done multiple tests and don't see anything that would be causing the problem. As my neurologist started to dig further into the issue and my symptoms, she discovered that I in fact have glossopharyngeal neuralgia instead. It is excruciatingly painful, and my attacks come on without any warning. No one understands what I am going through and because it isn't something they can "see" I have some that feel that I over-exaggerate my pain. I know I will most likely have to deal with this for the rest of my life, but please someone tells me this gets easier. :(

kiwi33 03-18-2018 01:58 PM

Hi Helen

I hope that the surgery works out well for you.

Best wishes.

Vaughn1 03-27-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen Aden (Post 1260404)
Hi,
I was visiting my daughter in Zurich when l started getting very painful sharp electric type stabs in the throat when swallowing or coughing. These stabs progressed to incredibly painful debilitating attacks where sometimes l seized and my heart would stop.
The hospital was convinced l was a heart patient and l woke in surgery as they put in a temporary pace maker. I was in hospital for 3 weeks before lyrica worked on stopping the stabs and the attacks. I found a fabulous Neurological surgeon back home in Melbourne who will perform Microvascular Decompression surgery and place a piece of teflon sponge between the artery and the 9th cranial nerve. I am very apprehensive but for me as a person living alone l think it is a sensible way to go.I fully understand your pain. It is absolutely intollerable. I hope you get the right help fast.
Helen Aden Melbourne Victoria Australia.

Hi, I have had it for 24 years. I have it unilaterally, left side. Most people have it on the left. I also have trigeminal neuralgia and have that bilaterally. When you have GN, and TN the TN is usually bilateral. It is very difficult, and the pain is great. Seizures and heart stopping are part of it.:(
I get bradycardia after pain but my heart has not stopped yet.
What is there to say?
Vaughn

This is part of MS sometimes. It is the "Oh my God what next!?", and then you deal with it. Glossopharngeal neuralgia, and I have had it for decades is under represented. In the USA the Facial Pain Center only has a pamphlet they give out on it while they have tons on trigeminal neuralgia. Try drinking alcohol? Chances are you will throw it up! Done it many times. Coffee too. I would be interested talking with anyone who has had bradycardia with the pain. We know your heart can stop, anyone have a pacemaker for it?
Have a safe day.
Vaughn1

Vaughn1 04-02-2018 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa137 (Post 1258995)
Hello.

Hi, I think we just get used to it. Hopefully you are on medication? Vaughn1

Courtneys 08-17-2018 07:55 PM

Glossopharyngeal neuralgia And choking

I choked and had the food lodged behind my tongue or at the base of my tongue over 3 months ago. I’ve had issues ever since. Can choking cause Glossopharyngeal neuralgia?

kiwi33 08-18-2018 07:14 AM

Hi Courtney

I know very little about glossopharyngeal neuralgia but if you have a look at this forum https://www.neurotalk.org/forum105/ and/or post there I am sure that will be helpful for you.

Best wishes.

gailmelissa42 10-12-2018 01:07 PM

Help

Ive been dealing with GN for about 2 years now and ive even been to the mayo clinic, all my dr wants to do is give me triliptal(which depletes my sodium), and gabapentin. the "tongue stingers" as I call them are getting worse. I know they come in phases but this one seems to be lasting forever.
Does anyone else get bumps on there tongue where the stinger hit?
Also what else is out there to take?
Anyone ever try the gamma knife?

kiwi33 10-12-2018 02:57 PM

Hi gailmelissa42

If you describe your experiences in the GN forum (https://www.neurotalk.org/forum105/) I am sure that you will get lots of support and good ideas from members there.

Best wishes.