NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Irrational fear about ice falling on head (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/251184-irrational-fear-ice-falling-head.html)

Ady_P 03-20-2018 01:50 PM

Irrational fear about ice falling on head

Hi all,

Since I last posted a few months ago about concussion fears, it seems I have health anxiety driven by PTSD or trauma from past head injuries I've had.

Yesterday, I was at the railway station and a 6-8 inch slice of melting ice landed lengthways on my head, instantly breaking into tiny pieces. I thought it was a dollop of snow - I felt very little apart from a slight passing embarrassment. It must have weighed 400-500g absolute maximum and fell from no more than a metre or so.

Another thinnish slab of ice thawed and fell onto the platform next to me - that's when the anxiety kicked in and saying "what if?".

It's telling me it could be PCS - problems touch typing, memory etc. Had a headache and was positive I could feel a small lump. The main "symptoms" I've had today are anxiety and depression, with concentration and typo errors etc.

There's no logical way it can be concussion; the ice was partially melted, not solid, it also broke easily on my skull - dispersing any small forces. My head stayed still, so there was no bouncing of the brain... not unless I've now got the weakest skull/brain combination ever. But my fear tells me otherwise.

I'm now looking to arranging therapy to see if I can break this pattern - intermittently being called up at very short notice to play the main character in a concussion hologram movie sucks.

Gabeabebartlett 03-20-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ady_P (Post 1260540)
Hi all,

Since I last posted a few months ago about concussion fears, it seems I have health anxiety driven by PTSD or trauma from past head injuries I've had.

Yesterday, I was at the railway station and a 6-8 inch slice of melting ice landed lengthways on my head, instantly breaking into tiny pieces. I thought it was a dollop of snow - I felt very little apart from a slight passing embarrassment. It must have weighed 400-500g absolute maximum and fell from no more than a metre or so.

Another thinnish slab of ice thawed and fell onto the platform next to me - that's when the anxiety kicked in and saying "what if?".

It's telling me it could be PCS - problems touch typing, memory etc. Had a headache and was positive I could feel a small lump. The main "symptoms" I've had today are anxiety and depression, with concentration and typo errors etc.

There's no logical way it can be concussion; the ice was partially melted, not solid, it also broke easily on my skull - dispersing any small forces. My head stayed still, so there was no bouncing of the brain... not unless I've now got the weakest skull/brain combination ever. But my fear tells me otherwise.

I'm now looking to arranging therapy to see if I can break this pattern - intermittently being called up at very short notice to play the main character in a concussion hologram movie sucks.

I completely understand your experience man. I've become very afraid of people touching me or bumping into me. I think therapy would be a good idea. Pretty much any movement of the head or bumping gives me serious anxiety that I've learned to semi control

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk