NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   All messed up (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/251374-messed.html)

WorriedInNYC 04-24-2018 11:45 PM

All messed up

You may remember I wrote a few months ago on here about some headaches I was having which I thought maybe be related to my PCS.

The good news is those headaches turned out to be caused by some herniated discs in my back pressing on nerves and have largely gone away with treatment.

The bad news is I’ve had a few incidents over the last couple of weeks which have left me in a really bad spot.

It started with an innocuous tap of my head on the ceiling. It was nothing hard and I braced for the 2-3 day startle reaction. It was basically cleared up when on Easter a family member gave me a playful smack on the shoulder when saying his goodbye. However, he is a very strong individual and this smack caused quite a jolt.

Immediately I knew it was bad. The following few days were hell. All the symptoms. But eventually after about a week they started clearing up.

Two weeks later they hadn’t completely gone away but they were basically on the way out when the grand whopper occurred. I was in my home and a dish which I had left on the ledge in the kitchen fell over and cracked. I was in the living room when this happened and I whipped my head around when I heard the loud bang.

I’ve never really had a major issue with head turns but I guess the force of this one coupled with still not being over the other jolt really screwed me up.

I was initially worried about a second impact syndrome even though I’m not sure either thing would even qualify as a concussion.

Regardless, since then I literally cannot turn my head unless it’s extremely slowly. Any sort of movement or walking results in a horrible head pressure. I can’t
even leave my house.

It’s by far the most dehabilitated I’ve felt since my initial concussion six years ago. There has been very slight improvement since this happened a week ago, but I mean slight. I’m very worried I may have really messed my vestibular system up.

But I mean with a smack on the shoulder and a head turn?

It’s so frustrating.

JBuckl 04-25-2018 08:27 AM

I had this real bad for a while too. It's a lot better now.

I take lots of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant supplements and do a small PEMF device called a ICES micropulse.

I can comment more later, but just know it can get better.

If it's neck related, I can't say much about that other than to get your neck checked out and corrected.

Mark in Idaho 04-25-2018 09:27 AM

WorriedinNYC,

Get off the worrying bandwagon. Second impact syndrome would not apply to you. You are too far removed from the first impact.

It sounds like you have an unstable neck. The jerks and sudden movements put a strain on your neck. Resolving and displacement and strengthening your neck will help. A NUCCA chiro or good whiplash trained PT or osteopath who understands whiplash or maybe a Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) can help. Just remember, not all medical professionals with the same training have the same skills. Finding a good one can be a challenge.