NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   More evidence of a link between systemic inflammation and Parkinson's disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/251385-evidence-link-systemic-inflammation-parkinsons-disease.html)

jeffreyn 04-27-2018 01:41 AM

More evidence of a link between systemic inflammation and Parkinson's disease

"... the incidence of PD was 78% lower in patients with IBD who received anti-TNF therapy compared with those who did not ..."

"These findings support a role of systemic inflammation in the development of both PD and IBD ..."

Medscape article: Old Drug May Get New Life in Parkinson's Prevention.
Medscape: Medscape Access

EurekAlert article: Parkinson's disease among patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
Parkinson's disease among patients with inflammatory bowel disease | EurekAlert! Science News

Research paper (not open access, only "Key Points" and "Abstract" are accessible): Anti-Tumor Necrosis Factor Therapy and Incidence of Parkinson Disease Among Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Inga Peter et al., JAMA Neurol. Published online April 23, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamaneurol.2018.0605.
Anti–Tumor Necrosis Factor Therapy and Incidence of Parkinson Disease Among Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease | Gastroenterology | JAMA Neurology | JAMA Network

Editorial (not open access, only first page is accessible): Discovering New Benefits From Old Drugs With Big Data - Promise for Parkinson Disease, Abby Olsen et al., JAMA Neurol. Published online April 23, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamaneurol.2018.0345.
Discovering New Benefits From Old Drugs With Big Data—Promise for Parkinson Disease | Gastroenterology | JAMA Neurology | JAMA Network

Although the research paper and the editorial are not open access, I found the bits that were accessible to be of interest.

jeffreyn 04-27-2018 03:12 AM

Update

I've just noticed that the SoPD blog has done a substantial post on this topic.

IBD+TNF AB ≠ PD? | The Science of Parkinson's

kiwi33 04-28-2018 05:51 AM

Thanks jeffreyn - interesting and potentially very promising.

jeffreyn 04-28-2018 06:51 AM

More articles

A few other websites have now written articles covering this research paper. I found the following articles to be of interest, particularly as they include expert commentary from independent researchers.

AlzForum article: Treat IBD, Dodge PD? Epidemiology Ties Parkinson’s to Inflammation.
Treat IBD, Dodge PD? Epidemiology Ties Parkinson’s to Inflammation | ALZFORUM

MEDPAGE TODAY article: Anti-TNF Cuts PD Risk in IBD
Anti-TNF Cuts PD Risk in IBD | Medpage Today

MANAGED HEALTH CARE CONNECT article: IBD Patients Treated With Anti-TNF Drugs Have a Lower Risk of Parkinson’s
https://www.managedhealthcareconnect...sk-parkinson-s

KNPV 04-29-2018 12:51 PM

I wonder if IV glutathione would help prevent PD. Also, what about non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Aleve. I guess I am asking whether any kind of anti-inflammatory would be of interest.

jeffreyn 08-21-2019 01:21 AM

More evidence of a link between IBD and PD

"Corticosteroid and anti-TNF use may prevent PD in patients with IBD."

Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease Are at an Increased Risk of Parkinson's Disease: A South Korean Nationwide Population-Based Study (2019):

Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease Are at an Increased Risk of Parkinson's Disease: A South Korean Nationwide Population-Based Study. - PubMed - NCBI

ashleyk 08-22-2019 09:02 AM

Curcumin

If I had Parkinson's, I would be taking 1 gram or more of curcumin.

Emerging Role of Curcumin in Parkinsons Disease | OMICS International

curcumin parkinson's - Google Search

KNPV 08-22-2019 01:43 PM

L serine

[QUOTE=ashleyk;1279090]If I had Parkinson's, I would be taking 1 gram or more of curcumin.

has anyone checked out l serine?

that is L serine

KNPV 08-22-2019 01:48 PM

Could This Radical New Approach to Alzheimer’s Lead to a Breakthrough? | Fortune

Could This Radical New Approach to Alzheimer’s Lead to a Breakthrough? | Fortune