NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Anxiety after TBI (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/251471-anxiety-tbi.html)

Yosemitelady 05-10-2018 11:37 PM

Anxiety after TBI

Just wondering what is best to take for anxiety post TBI?

Mark in Idaho 05-11-2018 12:24 AM

Many doctor prescribe benzos (ativan, zanax, klonopin, etc) but they can be a problem. Others prescribe Celexa or another SSRI.

A natural option is to try 5-HTP, starting at 50 mgs and slowly upping the dose to see if it helps. I take 100 mgs and get enough effect. I have not tried more. Some take up to 500 mgs a day but one needs to be careful. A common dose is 300 to 500 mgs split into two doses. Too much can cause serotonin syndrome that starts with sweating and other symptoms.

The symptoms of an SSRI or benzo can prevent many from taking them. 5-HTP is better anyway because your body makes it from L-Tryptophan and the brain knows how to use it.

SilenceIsSacred 05-16-2018 12:25 AM

If it works hemp oil (CBD) has the fewest risks. It worked great for me and I was very grateful to have it.

Yosemitelady 05-16-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilenceIsSacred (Post 1262576)
If it works hemp oil (CBD) has the fewest risks. It worked great for me and I was very grateful to have it.

Thank you! No THC needed with it?

Mark in Idaho 05-16-2018 03:55 PM

If you are going to try CBD or hemp oil, take it slow. Some find a sweet spot at a low dose but increased anxiety at higher doses. Beware that most hemp oil is extremely low concentration. There are no standards for concentration levels so some distillers are using independent labs to test their product.

From studies I have read, 2% THC, 98% CBD is better than 100% CBD. Remember than even 100% CBD is usually only 5% or 10% due to the other oils used in the mix.

One report suggested 150 mgs of CBD per day for anxiety. At current prices, that is about $25 to $30 a day.

5-HTP is 10 to 25 cents a day at VitaCost prices. Worth a try.

I'd love to try CBD is it wasn't so expensive.

Yosemitelady 05-16-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1262604)
If you are going to try CBD or hemp oil, take it slow. Some find a sweet spot at a low dose but increased anxiety at higher doses. Beware that most hemp oil is extremely low concentration. There are no standards for concentration levels so some distillers are using independent labs to test their product.

From studies I have read, 2% THC, 98% CBD is better than 100% CBD. Remember than even 100% CBD is usually only 5% or 10% due to the other oils used in the mix.

One report suggested 150 mgs of CBD per day for anxiety. At current prices, that is about $25 to $30 a day.

5-HTP is 10 to 25 cents a day at VitaCost prices. Worth a try.

I'd love to try CBD is it wasn't so expensive.

Mark you are so thoughtful to respond so promptly to everyone! I would like to try the 5htp but it did come up with some not so good side effects.

Mark in Idaho 05-16-2018 08:02 PM

There are no side effects for 5-HTP at safe doses. That is why I suggest starting at 50 or 100 mgs and increasing slowly. The high dose would be much more than 500 mgs.

WebMD:Other potential side effects of 5-HTP include heartburn, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, sexual problems, and muscle problems. 5-HTP is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in large doses. Doses from 6-10 grams daily have been linked to severe stomach problems and muscle spasms.

I do not recommend more than 500 mgs even though twice that is usually safe.

todayistomorrow 05-16-2018 08:03 PM

Dr Hammond from Indiana University on Stem talk podcadt mentioned Buspirone. It acts differently than main anxiety meds out there but don’t much about it.