NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Recommendations (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/251545-recommendations.html)

brenth 05-20-2018 08:07 PM

Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for someone who has had post concussion syndrome for a few years. The only thing so far that I have found helpful is resting and walking on the treadmill

Jomar 05-20-2018 10:18 PM

Explore our sticky threads at top of TBI/PCS main page-
here is a link to one of them-
https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-...s-regimen.html

If you list your most bothersome symptoms, it might help get you the best suggestions..

Mark in Idaho 05-20-2018 11:44 PM

brenth,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

There are many symptoms in the cluster known as PCS. Many can be individually treated or accommodated to reduce their severity.

Please tell us about your most severe symptoms and those that are causing frustration.

As a start, read the Vitamins sticky at the top. The injured brain needs extra nutrition to tolerate the stresses of a concussion.

brenth 05-22-2018 10:07 AM

Thank you for the response. I've had many concussions but some bad ones a couple years ago that left me where I am today. My memory concentration and overall cognitive function is down energy as well. I'm easily stressed out sensitive to noise stress etc. headaches depression pretty much a shitty personality bad temper etc. If I barely hit my head I have a week or two of some extremely tough times ahead of me. Mark I read your previous post about some of that being anxiety and I do agree some of the minor minor minor head bumps or back pumps I have to remind myself OK that was nothing but unfortunately other minor things like my head hitting the back of the headboard or someone aggressively patting me on the back does effect me. I take vitamins, fish oil, rest as much as possible but I'm still working full-time plus. I also walk on the treadmill I noticed that has helped me a little I haven't seen many people mention that but the doctor recommended that I do 15 or 20 minutes of cardio five days a week or so if possible I think that has helped me some they say increases blood flow to the brain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Mark in Idaho 05-22-2018 12:25 PM

Your replies are so generic that is is difficult to respond. There are no generic treatments. One treats each symptom, if possible. There are work-arounds and accommodations that can increase functioning and reduce symptoms.

It may help if you tell us about your concussions and what was done to resolve them.

What kind of work do you do? Is it a stressful job?

Please expand on the vitamins and rest comment.

Rest is not recommended. Reducing cognitive and physical stress is recommended but staying active is important.

The 'barely hit my head...weeks of trouble' is very common for the anxious. Many have needed treatment to reduce their anxiety reaction. Neurological healing is very difficult when anxiety is raging. The chemical stress of the anxiety gets in the way of physical healing. A concussion is a cascade is chemistry. A stressful job can be a problem. Some have a stressful commute.

Convincing yourself that bumping the headboard or a slap on the back is not a concussion is a good starting point. The "I moved my head too fast or bumped my head, now I will have weeks of symptoms.' is a self-fulfilling thought. The startle of the event can trigger ongoing symptoms. Learning to subdue the startle can be helpful.

If the movements you mention have a physical effect, it would with your upper neck. The pat on the back could cause a slight whiplash. The headboard could jam the upper vertebra. Icing and anti-inflammatory meds could help.

What do you do to try to reduce your bad behaviors? Have you had that hard discussion with yourself? I know what my triggers are. I have to try to avoid them.

brenth 05-24-2018 10:34 AM

I woke up this morning with a horrible headache, dizziness, vertigo, nausea and vision problems (things look strange/not normal). This just suddenly started today when I woke up and I have been up for a few hours with no improvement. Does anyone know what this could be or if this is common with PCS?

Mark in Idaho 05-24-2018 12:08 PM

What kind of sleeping posture did you have ?

Trying icing your head and neck.

If this repeats, sleeping with a Fit Bit could shed some light on your sleeping habits.