NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Migraine Associated Vertigo (MAV) (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/251762-migraine-associated-vertigo-mav.html)

bachissimo 06-25-2018 06:53 PM

Migraine Associated Vertigo (MAV)

Sorry I have been very active on the forum lately, I am throwing everything at this before my sick leave expires for good.

How can we tell the difference between PCS and MAV? The more I read about MAV the more I feel that there is a lot in common, and start asking myself "Do I have MAV?"...

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that sensitivity to screen light, moving objects on screen, scrolling, etc... is not as common in PCS patients as it is in MAV. Maybe I am wrong.

I wish there is a way to find out and dissociate...
Two differences I see: (a) convergence insufficiency seems to be way more common in PCS then MAV (b) vertigo -- which I don't have -- seems to be more common in MAV, but not .

I really don't want to be put on MAV drugs and their nasty side effects (I tried two for only couple of weeks, couldn't handle either). But if that is what I have (developed following the concussion), then maybe I should be thinking more seriously about it.

Mark in Idaho 06-25-2018 09:15 PM

Since migraine episodes can be related to spasming blood vessels and the reduced blood flow when that happens, has anybody suggested blood thinners? Aspirin is the simplest blood thinner. Enteric aspirin is easy to take without stomach upset.

bachissimo 06-26-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1264307)
Since migraine episodes can be related to spasming blood vessels and the reduced blood flow when that happens, has anybody suggested blood thinners? Aspirin is the simplest blood thinner. Enteric aspirin is easy to take without stomach upset.

Unfortunately no, aspirin does not do much, not with me nor with people with MAV. And again, I don't think MAV is what I have, but been pondering over this lately.

Wiix 06-26-2018 08:13 PM

That must be terrible. :hug: I've had both but not together.

bachissimo 06-26-2018 11:06 PM

Hi Wiix, how were you able to dinstiguish between both?
In what ways were they similar or different?

Mark: is sensitivity to screen light, changes in angle of the camera (say in a soccer game on TV), scrolling on computer, a fairly common PCS problem.

I feel dumb not having inquired about these earlier: is the fact that my sensitivity is more severe on some days (good an bad weeks) also common PCS pattern?

Thanks

Mark in Idaho 06-26-2018 11:49 PM

The visual issues you mention are not uncommon with PCS. I have never had screen brightness issues but I did have to learn to tolerate a LCD wide screen TV. The amount of detail and quickness of movement can cause a problem for me. I have problems with scrolling, especially if there are two different scrolling objects scrolling independently.

I've never been checked for visual issues.

bachissimo 06-28-2018 02:31 PM

Thanks Mark. So when you do scroll rapidly, or say you are watching a game and the camera angle changes back and forth, what is your symptom? Dizziness? To a point that you have to stop it, and does this dizziness last long?

I understand that this problem is less pronounced in your case compared to others, and glad to hear that.

Wiix 06-28-2018 09:49 PM

I experience that sort of dizziness when I've been reading too long. I have to stop for a while.

Did I mention I have diabetes and it only started after I began taking insulin. About a year.