NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Baclofen story from another forum.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/251997-baclofen-story-forum.html)

bizi 07-28-2018 10:52 PM

Baclofen story from another forum....

Baclofen: Early days but free from 35 years of anxiety attacks.

07-12-2018, 12:29 AM

I am just coming to the end of my second week on baclofen. ATM I am only taking a very low dose. The filet week I was prescribed 5mgs 3 times a day. This week has been 10 mgs 3 times a day.
I can honestly say that almost instantly, my anxiety attacks have 95% just vanished!
I have also cut down my drinking to 3 days a week, sometimes going over my self imposed limit of one bottle, when I have, I feel so awful the next day. I guess my tolerance levels are diminishing.
My primary purpose in asking for this medication was to reduce my alcohol, I was offered Campral, but decided not to take it as it is hard on the liver and baclofen is mainly processed via the kidneys.

This has been such a bonus for me, my anxiety attacks have run my life for 35 years, is one of the main reasons I started drinking. I have tried almost everything, God knows how many drugs, AA rehab, private clinics, CBT nothing could control my anxiety.

I am feeling a bit of anger about this as I believe that Dr's are encouraged to just prescribe the latest most expensive drugs to profit greedy pharma.
Baclofen is off label it was originally designed for MS and such in 1920.

But there has been plenty of success stories regarding the benefits for reducing or stopping drinking. I won't bore you with all the details here but this aspect was discovered by a French cardiologist decades ago.but was dismissed for obvious reasons.

I have just googled baclofen and anxiety attacks and there is so much good stuff to read.
I also started taken Valerian root 2000 at the same time, so possibly that had some effect?

Just thought I would share my miracle with you.

bizi 07-28-2018 11:28 PM

Is Baclofen Addictive or a Treatment for Addiction?

This is the link to the baclofen site for off label use of this med...just wanted to put this here.
bizi

Mari 07-29-2018 09:54 AM

This looks like good news, Bizi!:Tip-Hat:
:Good-Luck:

How are you feeling?

M

bizi 07-29-2018 10:24 AM

hi mari,
I sent an email asking my pdoc is she would prescribe this for me.
As it is used off label for addictions not sure if she will or not.
I am doing ok. Drinking too much and eating too much....weight keeps going up daily.
sigh
bizi
How are you?

mymorgy 07-29-2018 10:25 AM

That sounds like a Godsend!

OhKay 07-30-2018 08:05 AM

I used to take 20mg of Baclofen 3 times a day for years for the spasticity in my legs from MS...

I continued to have high anxiety and anxiety attacks, and I was a very heavy binge drinker, but that's just my experience.

I can't take it anymore because it interacts badly with Seroquel, at least the high dose I take at night. I'm afraid to try taking it during the day cuz I also take Seroquel in the morning.