NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/)
-   -   New to TN diagnosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/252159-tn-diagnosis.html)

Krystlegx 08-24-2018 11:06 AM

New to TN diagnosis

Hi all! I wanted to introduce myself and check for recommendations.

After almost 2 weeks of what I thought was possible root canal pain, my dentist cleared me with a suggestion of possible sinus problems. When Sudafed did not help and the pain I got worse, I finally saw my GP yesterday. He diagnosed me with TN and started me on 200mg Carbamazepine.

Over the last 3 days the pain has gotten so unbearable I cannot chew, talk, bend forward, or even brush my teeth without igniting severe pain. I know it will take time to build up the medication, and it may be ineffective even then, but has anyone found any at home remedies that have helped ease the pain? Ice packs were working but now touching them to my face is not really an option.

I have suffered with migraines since I was about 5 (I am 30 now) so I'm curious if this is related as neurologists then never found any real cause. I am just a bit baffled as to this diagnosis out of the blue.

Thanks in advance!

kiwi33 08-24-2018 05:20 PM

Hi Krystlegx

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

I am sorry to read about your trigeminal neuralgia.

The sticky threads here are worth reading and I hope that other members will be able to offer you support and helpful suggestions.

Best wishes.

thedspeth 08-29-2018 07:28 PM

Hi Kryslegx,

I haven't checked this site in nearly 9 years. As a TN survivor, I can hopefully give you some straightforward advice. If you have insurance, and your GP has diagnosed you with TN, then I would immediately ask for a referral to a Neurologist. Request the Neurologist run an MRI on your skull. If you have any blood vessels rubbing the trigeminal nerve, then the Neurologist will hopefully be able to see it in the scan. This may save you many years of trying to find the root cause.

I did every kind of treatment over about a 5 year period. I finally went under the knife for a Micro Vascular Decompression (MVD) procedure. Had I known the recovery would be so quick and permanent I would have elected to do it 5 years earlier and saved myself a tremendous amount of suffering, high medication use, thousands in unsuccessful remedies likes cryo therapy, chiropractics, carbamazepine, lyrica, etc. etc.

I wish you the best in finding a solution to your TN. Pain free living is truly amazing and not to be taken for granted as I'm sure you are now aware. As a fellow 'former' TN victim, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Stay strong!

Todd

Kitty 08-30-2018 07:11 AM

I can certainly relate to your painful episode.

I had an attack of Trigeminal Neuralgia about two years ago and it was the most painful thing I have EVER experienced.....and I have had 2 babies!!

The worst thing was not knowing how long it was going to last. Like you, I couldn't eat, drink, brush my teeth or even blink without igniting severe pain. I pretty much sat perfectly still for hours afraid that if I moved it would trigger the pain again.

I am taking Trileptal and that seems to have stopped all the pain. I am almost OCD about that particular med......I take it religiously and will NOT be without it.

I hope the med you're taking works well for you. I know the anxiety this pain can cause. Hoping you feel better soon.