NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Pilots with Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/252279-pilots-myasthenia-gravis.html)

larryroper 09-15-2018 08:00 AM

Pilots with Myasthenia Gravis

Hoping to connect with other pilots who are diagnosed with MG and are in remission. Thank you!

kiwi33 09-15-2018 03:47 PM

Hi Larry

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

I hope that you will be able to find other pilots with MG here.

Best wishes.

AnnieB3 09-15-2018 04:54 PM

Hi, larryroper. Welcome. I don't know of any pilots who have been on here, but some might be lurking. Hard to say.

I'm glad you're in remission!

What I do know about being on a flight with MG, is that oxygen saturation can tank that high up (even in those without MG). That's a big stressor on the body.

I imagine that a long flight, just like driving a long distance, can be like driving drunk if MG isn't stable or in remission. Response time is reduced greatly.

I wish there were some social media groups for pilots with MG, but I don't know of any. Can we help in any way, or just listen?

Annie

LeeMac 09-15-2018 08:32 PM

Hi Larry,

I have read of the FAA giving a special issuance for ocular MG. I'm quite interested as well as I was hoping to get my 3rd class physical next year and resume flying. That seems unlikely right now as I'm recently diagnosed and having variable symptoms. Frankly even if they issued one I'd ground myself unless I had a safety pilot who could take over.

larryroper 09-16-2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMac (Post 1267632)
Hi Larry,

I have read of the FAA giving a special issuance for ocular MG. I'm quite interested as well as I was hoping to get my 3rd class physical next year and resume flying. That seems unlikely right now as I'm recently diagnosed and having variable symptoms. Frankly even if they issued one I'd ground myself unless I had a safety pilot who could take over.

Ok, thank you! I will read more about this.... I appreciate your responses.

Larry

larryroper 09-16-2018 10:25 AM

I have applied for my first class medical. I'm hoping to receive a Special Issuance and resume professional flying again.

My mg is Purely ocular and it's very mild. It's currently in remission through Prednisone treatment. I'm on 20mg daily and working towards a reduction in dosage.

Lets keep in touch with each other as we each gain more information share it for others to benefit from.

All the best,

Larry

rosepointe 10-09-2018 02:45 PM

Glad to see your post. We travel a good deal for several weeks at a time and I always get anxious as some of our flights are 10 to 20 hours. So far I have been fine but I am always concerned. Will follow.
Karen

6thCranialNerve 10-10-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryroper (Post 1267589)
Hoping to connect with other pilots who are diagnosed with MG and are in remission. Thank you!

Hi Larry, I'm not a pilot; but I am recently diagnosed with Ocular MG. I started on Mestinon, then to Cellcept and IVIG. My Ocular MG isn't mild and with this medication is still problematic. I do drive; but at the grocery store last night I had a difficult time visually. I cannot take steroids. I sure hope you can connect with some other pilots!

Pilots of America