NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Medication question (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/252549-medication-question.html)

frankthetank 10-31-2018 07:11 AM

Medication question

Hello all,

Not sure if anyone can answer this or not...on top of my TBI I also have PTSD and am currently taking Buspirone twice a day for PTSD. I have been running short on pills and have been weening myself off of them as a result until they renew my prescription. I noticed that my TBI symptoms are getting worse though and was wondering if it was from slowing down the medication. Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks

Frank

6thCranialNerve 10-31-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank (Post 1269226)
Hello all,

Not sure if anyone can answer this or not...on top of my TBI I also have PTSD and am currently taking Buspirone twice a day for PTSD. I have been running short on pills and have been weening myself off of them as a result until they renew my prescription. I noticed that my TBI symptoms are getting worse though and was wondering if it was from slowing down the medication. Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks

Frank

Don't know if you are military; but if so, check with the VA about PTSD treatment with MDMA.

Current Perspective on MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

frankthetank 10-31-2018 02:45 PM

Thank you...sounds like this would be a better option and would treat some of the other issues I have. I am already having cognitive issues from the TBI so the negative reactions may be minimal. I am a veteran, but the TBI happened at work (Law Enforcement) during defensive tactics training. Not sure what work would say about treating with MDMA, but if my TBI symptoms don’t resolve soon I may not be going back to work.

davOD 11-01-2018 08:49 AM

My PTSD went away the first day I started medicating with Medical Marijuana.

If it is legal by you do some research into it.

MicheleV 11-01-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank (Post 1269226)
Hello all,

Thanks

Frank

Buspirone helps PTSD, anxiety and depression. TBI often can cause anxiety and depression so weaning the buspirone may worsen your TBI symptoms. I'd suggest trying to talk to your doctor about getting it renewed as soon as possible.

frankthetank 11-01-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MicheleV (Post 1269275)
Buspirone helps PTSD, anxiety and depression. TBI often can cause anxiety and depression so weaning the buspirone may worsen your TBI symptoms. I'd suggest trying to talk to your doctor about getting it renewed as soon as possible.

Thank you...I’m going to try and go to Urgent Care at the VA as I don’t see the doctor until December 19. I won’t last that long without the medication if the symptoms get worse. Appreciate the help!