NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   blood pressure & Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/252562-blood-pressure-myasthenia-gravis.html)

Boyd Ross 11-03-2018 08:50 PM

blood pressure & Myasthenia Gravis

Has anyone with Myasthenia Gravis with high blood pressure take medication, if so what does your doctor prescribe? My doctors do not talk to each other.

kiwi33 11-03-2018 11:56 PM

You could use the "Interactions Checker" in this site to see if there are any reported interactions between your MG and hypertension drugs.

Drugs.com | Prescription Drug Information, Interactions & Side Effects

wbdolphin 11-04-2018 06:20 PM

Blood pressure meds

I take metoprolol and lisinopril for high blood pressure and Afib. My cardiologist fully understands the MG contraindications but said that the cardiac concerns trumped the possibility of a MG problem. I started on low doses and gradually went up to the dosage needed.

winic1 11-06-2018 09:25 AM

I take lisinopril, and was on verapamil as well for several years. Then, as the mg symptoms got worse, and I saw that verapamil now carried an outright mg warning, I talked to my doctor and we did a trial of stopping the verapamil. Since my blood pressure and heart rate did okay without the verapamil, I no longer use it. When I did stop it, I just felt overall better, kind of like the elephant was no longer sitting on my chest every time I tried to move. (I had ended up on both medicines as a result of complications from injuries from a massive car accident, so not your typical high blood pressure story, however.)

I also have glaucoma, and other eye problems, and was on Cosopt (dorzolamide hydrochloride-timolol maleate ophthalmic solution)-for many years, while eye muscle control got worse and worse. Had already gone through every other glaucoma medicine in existence, so ended up stuck with that one. But as things got worse, again with consulting doctor and through other eye procedures that made it possible, we tried stopping the Cosopt. Eye muscle control got SO much better (went to my second ophthalmologist and didn't tell him that until after he had checked things out, which were much improved, so there was now empirical data proving it.) Glaucoma still needed some kind of drop, so I was put on the dorzolamide component alone. Within two days I was so cross-eyed and wonk-eyed. Stopped that, went on the timolol component, and was okay (or at least not so dramatically messed up.)

Timolol is a beta-blocker and should be the component messing with mg. Dorzolamide is not a beta-blocker, and should have been okay.
But that's not how it went with me (I'm never "normal". so much fun. not.)

So, lesson in my little stories is that you really just have to try things out (in cooperation with your doctor), and see what works okay for you, and what doesn't. I never start or change two things at once, because then it's harder to sort out what is causing what, it's one at a time, slowly.
And if your doctor doesn't know, understand, or isn't sensitive to the potential problems you could have with different medicines, get a different doctor.

AnnieB3 11-11-2018 09:18 PM

Metoprolol is a fairly good one for MG. But you should discuss all of this with a cardiologist. I hope you will.

Annie

dnp1986 09-22-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbdolphin (Post 1269370)
I take metoprolol and lisinopril for high blood pressure and Afib. My cardiologist fully understands the MG contraindications but said that the cardiac concerns trumped the possibility of a MG problem. I started on low doses and gradually went up to the dosage needed.

Are you on a blood thinner for the Afib?

wbdolphin 09-24-2021 11:31 AM

Yes, aspirin 325 mg daily