NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   reading difficulty (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/252635-reading-difficulty.html)

chrissylala 11-24-2018 10:33 AM

reading difficulty

Hi all! I have been in rehab for my concussion for 2 months. My car was hit by a drunk driver and totaled unfortunately but I made it out in one piece. Initially I had moderate expressive aphasia and couldn't do anything for more than 10 minutes. I have come a long way since then but I have been having issues with reading. Longer posts on here I can't even bother to read. I try to read instructions and can't really do it well unless its quick, bulleted lists.

I am working with an OT on my visual processing issues and have an appt with a neuro-ophthalmologist coming up next week. I do get eye strain and have light sensitivity. I know my eyes are not working well together because of some of the tests and exercises we have been doing. I can type ok but it takes me awhile. I can read quick easy things and take in the info easily.

I am most concerned about my job. I work in healthcare and it is very cerebral and fast paced. I read all day and look up dosages and healthcare info. I can't screw up. I know I am not ready to go to work yet. I'm just not reading and comprehending at the level I was prior to my accident.

I feel the I am able to do so many more things than I was last month. I still can't drive. I can socialize in very small groups, do anything around my house, go for quick walks, and even go into small stores and eat at a restaurant if its a slow time of day. Very different than I was. Fast paced and on the go a lot. I am doing better and thats what counts.

Anyone else with reading issues? What helped you the most? If you have a job like mine how did you adjust when you went back to work?

Any advice or links you have would be great. I'm fortunate to have a good concussion rehab team where I live but I really feel that I also need to talk with people who have been there.

Thanks-You,
Chrissy

Jomar 11-24-2018 11:36 AM

Has your team mentioned any upper cervical chiropractic at all, even if just for an assessment?
This link explains it well -
The following Signs and Symptoms may indicate Upper Cervical (c0-c1-c2) Injury
C0 – skull or occiput; C1 – atlas; C2 - axis-
Up C Spine - A New Approach - Sign / Symptom Checklist
Home page- Up C Spine

Many videos on you tube , it is not the same as standard chiropractic adjusting, if that is a concern for you..It is a very light gentle adjusting no force at all is felt..

chrissylala 11-25-2018 10:45 AM

vision issues

I think they are pretty sure it's mostly a vision issue. I'm failing a lot of OT tests for visual processing. I was just hoping to hear form people who have had similar issues and tried either prism glasses or other tools that worked for them with vision issues post-concussion. Especially with reading issues. Pretty common to have issues with accommodation, tracking, visual memory/processing, convergence, visual spatial distortions and visual-motor issues post. Hoping to get answers from the neuro-op. later this week. I've been waiting for this appt for a month.

Habu 12-29-2018 05:57 PM

I'm 5 months post. Vestibular therapy has been very difficult, esp convergence problems. My left eye is not moving as quickly as my right and reading had been torture. I finally went back to my opthalmologist, as she'd given me a full exam a week prior to the concussion. She has set me up with a prism lens. I won't have them until mid-Jan so I'll post back. All I know is for the time I was looking at your with the prism, my vision felt finally normal.

Living_Dazed 02-18-2019 01:11 AM

Thank you for your post. I am over six years out and still face many of the same issues you face. I have not done OT for four years but thinking about going back to it to see if it could make a difference at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissylala (Post 1269951)
Hi all! I have been in rehab for my concussion for 2 months. My car was hit by a drunk driver and totaled unfortunately but I made it out in one piece. Initially I had moderate expressive aphasia and couldn't do anything for more than 10 minutes. I have come a long way since then but I have been having issues with reading. Longer posts on here I can't even bother to read. I try to read instructions and can't really do it well unless its quick, bulleted lists.

I am working with an OT on my visual processing issues and have an appt with a neuro-ophthalmologist coming up next week. I do get eye strain and have light sensitivity. I know my eyes are not working well together because of some of the tests and exercises we have been doing. I can type ok but it takes me awhile. I can read quick easy things and take in the info easily.

I am most concerned about my job. I work in healthcare and it is very cerebral and fast paced. I read all day and look up dosages and healthcare info. I can't screw up. I know I am not ready to go to work yet. I'm just not reading and comprehending at the level I was prior to my accident.

I feel the I am able to do so many more things than I was last month. I still can't drive. I can socialize in very small groups, do anything around my house, go for quick walks, and even go into small stores and eat at a restaurant if its a slow time of day. Very different than I was. Fast paced and on the go a lot. I am doing better and thats what counts.

Anyone else with reading issues? What helped you the most? If you have a job like mine how did you adjust when you went back to work?

Any advice or links you have would be great. I'm fortunate to have a good concussion rehab team where I live but I really feel that I also need to talk with people who have been there.

Thanks-You,
Chrissy

Bud 02-21-2019 03:26 AM

I did a year of vision therapy for tracking problems and had prisms during that time. Both the therapy and prisms were a tremendous help!

The prisms are no longer necessary.

I don't think 2 months is all that long of a recovery time...would you be as worried about a broken bone taking 2 months to heal properly?

Be patient, your skills will return.

I found taking a five minute or even less break BEFORE symptoms set in at work made a huge difference in my functioning at clearer levels prior to a full recovery.

Bud