NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   o.k. to take lots more gabapentin? (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/252637-lots-gabapentin.html)

Mari 11-25-2018 04:30 PM

o.k. to take lots more gabapentin?

I am really depressed.

I currently take 300 mgs gabapentin at night.
I think I can take more. Perhaps I would benefit.

Apparently people with depression and anxiety can take 900 to 2,000 mg a day. I saw that some people can take up to take 4,800 mg/day.

What do you think?

I emailed my pdoc that I need to see her soon and will call her office Monday for an appt.

M

Dmom3005 11-25-2018 05:58 PM

Mari

I took Gabapentin for pain. But took about 600mg a day. But it
also helped with depression at the time. Because I wasn't depressed
when I took it. I had to start and depression pill after going off.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

bizi 11-25-2018 08:31 PM

I had heard up to 2000mg in divided doses.

bizi
I am glad that you are calling your pdoc office in the morning.
:hug:

Mari 11-26-2018 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1269996)
I had heard up to 2000mg in divided doses.

bizi
I am glad that you are calling your pdoc office in the morning.
:hug:

That's helpful.

THX

OhKay 11-27-2018 01:18 PM

I used to take 600/600/1200mg a day for neuropathy and paresthesias, but many people with MS take it in higher doses. I'm not aware of any ceiling for it.

Right now I'm taking 700mg off-lable for psych as a mood stabilizer, but I usually lower my dose if my mood is low, and raise it if my mood is too high.

I'm sorry you're so depressed, Mari :hug::hug::hug:
I hope that your pdoc agrees to increase it, and it helps. I think you should be able to adjust to the sedation given enough time :hug:

Mari 12-02-2018 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhKay (Post 1270026)
I used to take 600/600/1200mg a day for neuropathy and paresthesias, but many people with MS take it in higher doses. I'm not aware of any ceiling for it.

Right now I'm taking 700mg off-lable for psych as a mood stabilizer, but I usually lower my dose if my mood is low, and raise it if my mood is too high.

I'm sorry you're so depressed, Mari :hug::hug::hug:
I hope that your pdoc agrees to increase it, and it helps. I think you should be able to adjust to the sedation given enough time :hug:

That's good to know. I will ask pdoc when I see her.

In the past an increased dose made me sleepier and it gave me paresthesia (weird feelings in my ears mostly)--
-- I think I might have tried to increase it twice before but I am willing to try increasing it again since I do not seem to have a lot of options.

:)

bizi 12-02-2018 11:52 PM

How is your semester coming along?
Jeff has final juries this week.
When do you see your pdoc again?
((((HUGS))))
bizi

6thCranialNerve 12-11-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 1269979)
I am really depressed.

I currently take 300 mgs gabapentin at night.
I think I can take more. Perhaps I would benefit.

Apparently people with depression and anxiety can take 900 to 2,000 mg a day. I saw that some people can take up to take 4,800 mg/day.

What do you think?

I emailed my pdoc that I need to see her soon and will call her office Monday for an appt.

M

I take 800mg. x3/day. I still have pain (neuropathy) I don't understand how anyone is trying to make neurontin a scheduled drug. It doesn't get me high at all. I take Buproprion SR 150mg. x2/day (wellbutrin). It works great for my depression!

OhKay 12-12-2018 10:05 AM

People use gabapentin in conjunction with other meds (mostly opiates) to get high/higher. That is why they are trying to make it a controlled substance.

It never got me high at high doses either.

It's working really well for me as an off-label mood stabilizer.
I'm glad that it's helping you with your depression. That's wonderful :)

Mari 12-13-2018 03:38 AM

OhKay,

Thanks for the Gabapentin news. I love that it is easy for me to get.

(The thoughts about change can be disappointing.)

M