NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Epilepsy (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/)
-   -   Secondary generalised seizure (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/252700-secondary-generalised-seizure.html)

Wanderlust90 12-11-2018 12:30 AM

Secondary generalised seizure

Hi all,
I've only had 2 seizures in the past, both simple and complex partials, I have a left temporal lobe lesion.
A few days ago after a far too many drinks I experienced what the paramedics and emergency department said was a secondary generalised seizure.
I don't remember it but during the car ride home my friend said I started twitching rhythmically, both upper and lower limbs, was unrousable and unresponsive to voice or pain. It lasted about 2 minutes. She said she didn't witness me become rigid prior to the twitching but I was drooling/frothing at the mouth. They called an ambulance and said once I stopped twitching I was unconcious and snoring, then slowly regained full consciousness within 30 minutes but couldn't talk for awhile. I had a horrible headache and was tired for hours (it was 2am in the morning though, and like I said I had been drinking). I am taking lamictal.
What confuses me is that there was no tonic phase, I was not incontinent, did not bite my tounge, and the twitching wasn't violent. Is there such thing as a "mild" tonic clonic seizure?

plumbdumb37 12-24-2018 04:44 PM

i dont think so

I don't think that there is a mild one .. ive seen a petite mal and grand mal yours sounds like the ones I have where your snoring at the end. its from drinkning I bet. some peoples brains are just sensitive to thngs that a lot of others are not so sensitive to. I have grand mal seizures from stimulant abuse. and the doctor at the E.R said."you have to stop using or youll always have them. and I didn't listen .. what a unique story I have. im a very unpridictaable person. (being sarcastic).. but stress I think can have a lot to do also with them and inducing them. I always tell myself to chant .." im not weak, I am strong, my brain is strong, thank u God. ) till I believe it. don't live in fear

kiwi33 12-24-2018 08:47 PM

Hi Wanderlust90 and plumbdumb37

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

I hope that you both will find the community as knowledgeable and supportive as I have.

I know very little about epilepsy but trust that members who do will offer you support and good ideas.

Best wishes.

southie 12-31-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderlust90 (Post 1270423)
Is there such thing as a "mild" tonic clonic seizure?

To answer your question - it actually depends on the Medical Personnel... one might view it "Chronic", another might imply "Moderate" and the Charge Nurse says "Mild".... It is a catch 22. Yes you can have the tonic without the clonic and clonic without the tonic - heck you can even have tonic clonic tonic and a clonic tonic clonic... Either way, the brain isn't listening. It's the Physician's and Medical Personnel's way of describing what they've seen. Keep in mind: Some are more experienced and seen such medical while to another it's an isolated event that happens once in a blue moon.

I wouldn't rely too much on what "they say" and rely on yor OWN treating Physician to make that determination.

Glad you're safe and sound!

Diamond Tiger<3 10-19-2020 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderlust90 (Post 1270423)
Hi all,
I've only had 2 seizures in the past, both simple and complex partials, I have a left temporal lobe lesion.
A few days ago after a far too many drinks I experienced what the paramedics and emergency department said was a secondary generalised seizure.
I don't remember it but during the car ride home my friend said I started twitching rhythmically, both upper and lower limbs, was unrousable and unresponsive to voice or pain. It lasted about 2 minutes. She said she didn't witness me become rigid prior to the twitching but I was drooling/frothing at the mouth. They called an ambulance and said once I stopped twitching I was unconcious and snoring, then slowly regained full consciousness within 30 minutes but couldn't talk for awhile. I had a horrible headache and was tired for hours (it was 2am in the morning though, and like I said I had been drinking). I am taking lamictal.
What confuses me is that there was no tonic phase, I was not incontinent, did not bite my tounge, and the twitching wasn't violent. Is there such thing as a "mild" tonic clonic seizure?

What you described sounds like a Petite Mal seizure.

funnylegs4 11-11-2020 05:41 PM

I'm sorry you had this seizure. That sounds scary. I have been told drinking is not good for people with epilepsy because it changes your brain wiring so I think that drinking would be a likely trigger. Sounds similar to grand mal.