NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Headaches while meditating (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/252948-headaches-meditating.html)

Vania 02-03-2019 03:51 AM

Headaches while meditating

My headaches have been subsiding in the past months but come back within seconds and at a high intensity when I try to meditate (eyes closed, trying to focus on the breathe). They are located mostly at the site of my injury (forehead), and persist after the session.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? Any tip to avoid that? I am trying to meditate every day to cope with anxiety and stress.

Many thanks.

davOD 02-04-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vania (Post 1271999)
My headaches have been subsiding in the past months but come back within seconds and at a high intensity when I try to meditate (eyes closed, trying to focus on the breathe). They are located mostly at the site of my injury (forehead), and persist after the session.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? Any tip to avoid that? I am trying to meditate every day to cope with anxiety and stress.

Many thanks.

I found to have the same thing, but what worked for me was mantra...or Kirtan, give it a try. You will find it very powerful, and enjoyable!

Vania 02-04-2019 03:00 PM

Thanks a lot, davOD. I'll look into it.

davOD 03-12-2019 10:05 AM

The healing and happiness I have found through Kirtan was a game changer for me.....Here is a great article on it.

Kirtan: The Easy Meditation That Can Improve Your Brain | Psychology Today

deadman1204 04-03-2019 10:30 AM

I suffer from chronic headaches, and have found that when I stop to rest/meditate ect, they seem to get worse at first.

I have a couple thoughts about how it works for me (maybe for you too):
1. when I stop doing stuff, its only then I realize how busy my brain has been working - so my headache increases
2. It takes time for a busy brain to settle down. If I rest for half an hour, it dies down.
3. You can use methods to try to deal with the pain, but I've been told my multiple doctors that the pain is a symptom of an over worked brain. My brain is working far harder to deal with all the stimulation it has received, and it can take time for it to settle down afterwards.

One thing that can help is limiting unneeded stimulation. Do you know what triggers your headaches? Sounds, complex visuals (looking out a car window while its driving, watching a fast paced movie, ect), physical activity? Maybe limiting whatever your triggers are before you plan to meditate